+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag polling for open work permit

W B

Jun 5, 2018
I am sponsoring my spouse, we got married in Canada. His PR paper application is been sent to immigration office. However haven't received any updates. We are thinking of flag polling for an open permit as his vistorv visa is due for expire in less than 3 months

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am sponsoring my spouse, we got married in Canada. His PR paper application is been sent to immigration office. However haven't received any updates. We are thinking of flag polling for an open permit as his vistorv visa is due for expire in less than 3 months
Not an option. Open work permits for inland spousal sponsorship applications cannot be issued at the border. Only option is to mail it in and wait.

W B

Jun 5, 2018
Thanks Scylla.

How long will it take it for open permit? If there a way to apply online? Or do I have to send all the way to Alberta visa office.

Please advise

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi W B, didn't you apply for the open work permit together with the PR application ?

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Ok so you should apply right away !

Applying for an OWP with the Inland PR application will give your spouse "implied status", so he will not have to extend his visitor visa.

So, go to IRCC website again and look for OWP for spouse or common law partners in Canada: use the search bar or go to the PR application section and go from there.

Check the documents and check the fees as there are 2 different fees to pay for the OWP.

Do it thoroughly, don't miss any documents or fees, as if it gets returned, then he loses the implied status advantage and will have to extend the visitors visa.

The OWP gets to you in an average of 3 months if everything is ok.

When you send it together with PR is on paper, but check because I think you can apply online.

Hope it hoes smooth :)