+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Time PR Renewal - RO Period

Simon.Walsh

Mar 12, 2014
Good afternoon all.

I am seeking clarification for my first PR card renewal. I understand the residency obligations of days in and outside of Canada over a 5 year period in order to renew. My question concerns the first time renewal process. From reading the different threads on this very helpful forum site, I've become confused what the renewal RO time period is specifically.

A little on my background;
I landed to activate my residency on 4th May 2009, my card expires in May 2014. When I originally landed I stayed 10 days, then returned to Scotland as my girlfriend wasn't ready to move permanently. We subsequently broke up and I decided to move here in April 2012. Including 3 trips back to Scotland in the past 2 years I will have 734 days in Canada and 1092 outside.

I was planning on renewing my PR card a few weeks after the expiry date to insure that my outside days meet the RO, and also because I cannot prove the 10-day stay in 2009 (my ex-girlfriend looked after the travel arrangements). After reading some posts on the forums I may not be able to do that for my first time renewal. As a first time renewal, do I have to use a 5 year period from the issue date of my card (in my case 4th May 2009 to 4th May 2014) or can I wait for a few weeks after expiry then apply (for example 10 June 2014 to 10 June 2009)?

Also, I notice here that renewals take a few months to process. I would appreciate any experience on any issues with healthcare or work status while the card is being processed (i.e. holding an expired PR card)? I've recently lost my job and wondering if I secure a new one that the company will not accept an soon to be PR card as residency proof.

Thanks to anybody that can help clarify this.

Simon

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
Simon.Walsh said:
I was planning on renewing my PR card a few weeks after the expiry date to insure that my outside days meet the RO, and also because I cannot prove the 10-day stay in 2009 (my ex-girlfriend looked after the travel arrangements). After reading some posts on the forums I may not be able to do that for my first time renewal. As a first time renewal, do I have to use a 5 year period from the issue date of my card (in my case 4th May 2009 to 4th May 2014) or can I wait for a few weeks after expiry then apply (for example 10 June 2014 to 10 June 2009)?
I will be going through a similar situation at the end of the month, from what I've read on here is that you can wait a few weeks after the expiry date before renewing to make sure you're in compliance with the RO.

In saying that, I'm not sure if the situation is different when it's a first time renewal. The experts know alot more that I do but I know there's a section on the form that says "if you are a permanent resident for less than five years". I think this refers to those who are renewing before the expiry of their card so the RO period would be from the date you become a PR to the date of renewal application (e.g. from 4 May 2009 to renewal date). I presume if you wait till after your card has expired then you will be more than 5 years as a permanent resident and the RO period is taken from the date of your application back 5 years (e.g. 10 June 2014 to 10 June 2009).

Hopefully some of the experts can help you out, good luck!