+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Date of Arrival for Work Permit

Chiolope

Apr 12, 2016
Hi,

I got a temporary work permit through the IEC (Young Professionals) program. I also got an eTA issued.
let's assume my first day of work (by contract) is the 1st of July. Am I allowed to enter Canada one or two weeks before to prepare everything for my first working day?

Thanks!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Chiolope said:
Hi,

I got a temporary work permit through the IEC (Young Professionals) program. I also got an eTA issued.
let's assume my first day of work (by contract) is the 1st of July. Am I allowed to enter Canada one or two weeks before to prepare everything for my first working day?

Thanks!
Absolutely, you can do that
Just take care to not come later than the invitation expiring date.

If you already have IEC you'll getting WP at landing, expiring date will be 1 or 2 yeras after (depending on your original country)

If you'll have only 1 year and you want to use this 1 year experience for CEC PR I recommend you to come a few days before start to work, otherwise 1-2 weeks is the best option.

After landing (be sure to have all needed documents, including travel insurance for the whole WP lenght):

- get a Canadian cellphone/Sim card
- go to services Canada and get SIN
- Open a bank account
- check if you can apply for Provincial Health, varies within provinces.

SIN is required to work and banking, so it's firts official business to do
-

Chiolope

Apr 12, 2016
Thank you very much for your response! Do you know an official page where I can get this information? I was looking for these information online but I just found information about the expiring date. I just want to be sure I don't need an additiona eTA just for the two weeks. Would be a nice surprise at the border control then. :)

Jackon

Jul 19, 2015
Gregor.Samsa said:
Absolutely, you can do that
Just take care to not come later than the invitation expiring date.

If you already have IEC you'll getting WP at landing, expiring date will be 1 or 2 yeras after (depending on your original country)

If you'll have only 1 year and you want to use this 1 year experience for CEC PR I recommend you to come a few days before start to work, otherwise 1-2 weeks is the best option.

After landing (be sure to have all needed documents, including travel insurance for the whole WP lenght):

- get a Canadian cellphone/Sim card
- go to services Canada and get SIN
- Open a bank account
- check if you can apply for Provincial Health, varies within provinces.

SIN is required to work and banking, so it's firts official business to do
-
I am in the same situation, going for a Young Professional visa. Right now I am in the application process.

My problem is my passport will expire in March 2017 therefore I need to renew it. Do I need to renew the passport BEFORE applying or just need to have it renewed once I land in Canada would be alright?

Thank you

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jackon said:
I am in the same situation, going for a Young Professional visa. Right now I am in the application process.

My problem is my passport will expire in March 2017 therefore I need to renew it. Do I need to renew the passport BEFORE applying or just need to have it renewed once I land in Canada would be alright?

Thank you
Obviously is more convenient to get a new passport before apply.

You can obtain a new passport while in Canada, depending on your original country, but you need to apply for Permit extension .

Jackon

Jul 19, 2015
Problem is my country doesn't allow you to renew your passport unless you have a mayor issue meaning you have to show them proof that you got the POE before being able to renew it.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jackon said:
Problem is my country doesn't allow you to renew your passport unless you have a mayor issue meaning you have to show them proof that you got the POE before being able to renew it.
Well, I'll recommend to try, sometimes passport officers could be friendly, we have similar situation in my country and we were able to get a new Passport before standard dates.

Anyways, at least try to get a new passport before leave, with your application letter of approval, you have to keep the old passport as well to fulfill the process at the POE.

If you can show original/old passport and new one at the POE most probably you'll get a WP for the maximum period of time.

If you cannot get a new passport before leaves, check how and when you can apply for passport renewal within Canada, and apply for it ASAP, you'll need a new passport to apply for WP renewal before expiration time.

Jackon

Jul 19, 2015
Gregor.Samsa said:
Well, I'll recommend to try, sometimes passport officers could be friendly, we have similar situation in my country and we were able to get a new Passport before standard dates.

Anyways, at least try to get a new passport before leave, with your application letter of approval, you have to keep the old passport as well to fulfill the process at the POE.

If you can show original/old passport and new one at the POE most probably you'll get a WP for the maximum period of time.

If you cannot get a new passport before leaves, check how and when you can apply for passport renewal within Canada, and apply for it ASAP, you'll need a new passport to apply for WP renewal before expiration time.
Thank you! I think I'll try this since I need to submit my application this week and the date to renew the passport is next week.