+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a job offer in Canada while being outside of canada

Ruey

Aug 16, 2012
Hello everybody.

I just want to ask you : how can I find a job offer from a Canadian employer as a foreign graduate.

I know that there are several websites listing job offers, but did any of you succeed in finding a real job offer while being outside of Canada then using this job offer in order to move to Canada ? I mean : is such a thing realizable ?

Thank you.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
I have shared my case in several threads before. I will continue to share it.

Caveat: This depends on your occupation and persistence.

I found my future job (currently waiting for the work permit in my country) in LinkedIn.com. I saw the job advertisement and applied in their website on 12 Dec 2011. We had q Skype interview. Then they flew me to Canada for a face-to-face interview. Then they applied for the LMO.

Seems quick and easy. But that's only the tip of the iceberg. I've been applying for two years for all job opportunities applicable to me or at least a possible fit. In these two years, I have applied on the average 20 applicants daily. Customizing my resume to every application. I've undergone several interviews and email conversations but every time they learned that I am outside Canada, they declined. But this didn't stop me.

I have passed applications thru Jobstreet, JobsDB, Job Bank, Monster, Workopolis, Ranstad, Canadian employers websites, etc.

I have read lot of forums and they've all said that there is a slim chance of getting a job outside Canada. But knowing there is a chance, though how small it maybe, kept me going.

All I can say, it is worth it. It's worth the effort. All my worries on how to get to Canada (airfares) and settling down (relocation of our things, the house and the car in Canada) has been taken cared of by the company. I just need to bring my family and go straight to work without worrying much.

Hope my story inspired you and gave you more motivation to look for work.

Goodluck!

Ruey

Aug 16, 2012
judylopez > I'm currently in Algeria, and I'm still a student (pharmacy), I will have my diploma in one year from now.

Cabalen > Thanks for the sharing your story. I hope everything will go well for you.

I know that as an international graduate in pharmacy I can't work in Canada as a pharmacist before obtaining a canadian license, but still, I'm wondering if it is possible for me to find a job with my future credentials, not as a pharmacist of course, but as a job which is related to pharmacy, or even a job that is not related. Actually everything that matters for me is to find a job, because this will accelerate the immigration procedure.

Thanks.

barrington_w

Aug 19, 2012
HI,

I have a question for @Cabalen. Could you advise what job or industry were you given a job offer for?

Like yourself I have been trying for the past 1.5 years on LinkedIN and other sites. The same question comes up everytime if I have a work permit.

Thanks.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
barrington_w said:
HI,

I have a question for @ Cabalen. Could you advise what job or industry were you given a job offer for?

Like yourself I have been trying for the past 1.5 years on LinkedIN and other sites. The same question comes up everytime if I have a work permit.

Thanks.
@barrington, They offered me an Applications Engineer position (NOC 2132 - mechanical engineer). The industry is manufacturing and technology.

The could thing is the position is not regulated in Ontario. Though under engineering, I've checked that if I will be supervised by a registered professional engineer, which is my boss, then it won't an issue.

As Ruey stated, a lot of professions are regulated thus it will not be easy to be accepted.

Keep on applying. I have applied in different positions from factory worker to managerial roles. Goodluck!

@ Ruey, Look for work related to pharmacy. Try all possible positions. I have applied to all provinces of Canada, even in Yukon and Northern Territories.

You will be rejected, turned down but if you really want it, there are a lot of ways. Thomas Edison had 10,000 attempts before he invented the light bulb. Goodluck!

Ruey

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for your answer Cabalen.

Do you mind telling us how is your situation right now, and what are you excepting when you will be in Canada ? Are you doing to pass exams or to some studies in order to have recognized credentials and therefor have more opportunities if you want to find another job ?

If any other person have advices concerning chances and possibilities for pharmacists for finding jobs in canada from outside of canada, feel free to add you answers, this will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
Ruey said:
Thanks for your answer Cabalen.

Do you mind telling us how is your situation right now, and what are you excepting when you will be in Canada ? Are you doing to pass exams or to some studies in order to have recognized credentials and therefor have more opportunities if you want to find another job ?

If any other person have advices concerning chances and possibilities for pharmacists for finding jobs in canada from outside of canada, feel free to add you answers, this will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
@Ruey

I'm currently waiting for my work permit. It seems I have a month or so of waiting. My employer and I expected my arrival around mid-October. It is quite optimistic timeline.

Anyway, my plan is to apply for a PR first before entering the university. There are a lot of complications and leg work to accredit my foreign credentials. I feel that it may get into my work.

Agree that I will have other opportunities once I am already credited but this is not my priority right now.

So here's my plan:

Settle - own a house, car, etc
PR - after a year
Have a university degree in Canada starting after two years

bosmum

Aug 8, 2014
Hi everyone. This thread is already here for ages but I'll have it a go and ask you guys. Any idea what jobs can a Mechanical Engineer apply for in Canada? since ME is a regulated profession, thinking of finding a job that matches the work experience. Currently working in a Pharmaceutical Company, responsible for Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Training newly-hired engineers etc

Anyone been successful this year to get an employer?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I can barely add that getting a job in a regulated profession from being outside Canada is like impossible. The reason simply is that you cannot legally work in Canada without having acceptance and certification locally, which no employer would be willing to wait for.

For non regulated professions, it is always possible as long as an employer needs you (meaning they found something that they couldn't easily find from inside Canada).

I am yet to see some one from Mechanical engineering being hired internationally on a work permit sort of a thing.

The best path in my opinion is to apply for Permanent residence from outside Canada using programs such as FSW etc., get your credentials assessed here latter, get a certification if needed and then have a go at jobs.

I would add that finding first job in Canada even if you are physically here but don't have local experience is still quite hard. I have seen a lot of educated people switching professions for life owning to this issue. So keep in mind that you have to want it so bad that you are willing to go to any length.

All the best.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
fkl said:
I can barely add that getting a job in a regulated profession from being outside Canada is like impossible. The reason simply is that you cannot legally work in Canada without having acceptance and certification locally, which no employer would be willing to wait for.

For non regulated professions, it is always possible as long as an employer needs you (meaning they found something that they couldn't easily find from inside Canada).

I am yet to see some one from Mechanical engineering being hired internationally on a work permit sort of a thing.

The best path in my opinion is to apply for Permanent residence from outside Canada using programs such as FSW etc., get your credentials assessed here latter, get a certification if needed and then have a go at jobs.

I would add that finding first job in Canada even if you are physically here but don't have local experience is still quite hard. I have seen a lot of educated people switching professions for life owning to this issue. So keep in mind that you have to want it so bad that you are willing to go to any length.

All the best.
Fkl,
If I get work permit, I will be in Canada on OWP.
I have 8 Yrs of experience in software field.

How do you think opportunities are in BC Province. I am addicted to writing software code ;D . Not sure whether I can change my profession. I heard Canadian employers ask for Canada work experience. But how good are the opportunities for people who don't have Canadian experience but have solid experience in software field?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Software is a skill, not a regulated profession and there are many jobs. Opportunities are certainly better than mechanical, accounts or HR like professions.

However, i have heard both kinds of stories, so its hard to generalize.

I work in software (albeit a very specialized area), was recruited out of my home country by my Canadian employer. And at least via linkedin etc., i get contacted by recruiters often. So at the moment, things look pretty good.

It might be different ball game if i am out looking for a job.

Having Canadian experience definitely helps, but in software, it is hard to ignore "solid experience".

My company has open positions quiet often. If it was Ottawa or Montreal, i might have suggested looking at our openings.

About BC, i only know that Vancouver is a great place to live, but is damn expensive too. It has a Microsoft development office as well as other software companies too. But most of them are related to gaming industry.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
fkl said:
Software is a skill, not a regulated profession and there are many jobs. Opportunities are certainly better than mechanical, accounts or HR like professions.

However, i have heard both kinds of stories, so its hard to generalize.

I work in software (albeit a very specialized area), was recruited out of my home country by my Canadian employer. And at least via linkedin etc., i get contacted by recruiters often. So at the moment, things look pretty good.

It might be different ball game if i am out looking for a job.

Having Canadian experience definitely helps, but in software, it is hard to ignore "solid experience".

My company has open positions quiet often. If it was Ottawa or Montreal, i might have suggested looking at our openings.

About BC, i only know that Vancouver is a great place to live, but is damn expensive too. It has a Microsoft development office as well as other software companies too. But most of them are related to gaming industry.
Thanks fkl. As always, you are the champ. For that you get +1.
I should tune my basics again for the interviews so that I can crack a job. BTW, I would land in Vancouver, if OWP is issued.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
No problem @IntoCanada, i am glad i could be of any help. Thanks and all the very best.

Also, tune your skills - fix your resume and reach out to recruiters in your city / province STARTING now or when you have a rough expectation of when you would land.

Often recruiters would be ready to line up interviews in advance. It doesn't hurt to be proactive.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
bosmum said:
Hi everyone. This thread is already here for ages but I'll have it a go and ask you guys. Any idea what jobs can a Mechanical Engineer apply for in Canada? since ME is a regulated profession, thinking of finding a job that matches the work experience. Currently working in a Pharmaceutical Company, responsible for Maintenance, Troubleshooting, Training newly-hired engineers etc

Anyone been successful this year to get an employer?
This thread hasn't been updated for quite a while.

As you can see my post 2 years ago, I applied for a temporary work permit under NOC 2132 - Mechanical Engineer. I was thinking then that I have a slim or no chance of getting a job in Canada for I don't have a Canadian license but an employer here Canada got me an LMO and job offer. I landed here last year and now waiting for the processing of my PR application.

I am now working more than a year now and still under NOC 2132 with the title of Applications Engineer. I still don't have an engineering license so I can't put P.Eng after my name but I am doing engineering duties with a supervision of an P.Eng.

I am an engineer but not a Professional Engineer (Licensed) so I can't also sign off my work - my P.Eng does that for me. Check this link.

http://www.engineerscanada.ca/frequently-asked-questions

I have posted at the beginning of this thread what I have done to land on this job. I hope you find a job here soon and good luck!