+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feb 2022 applicant here. My SP application has been in progress for more than 13 weeks

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
My timeline is in my signature.

I’m from the Philippines so it's being processed here. I applied for a student permit through regular stream back in Feb for Fall 2022 intake and it's been over 100 days and no result yet!

I think my application is pretty good. I have 0 family in Canada and have home ties here. I presented at least $100k CAD in my POF (mine and my parents as sponsors). I’m planning to stay in a dorm there (isn’t that enough proof I’m gonna actually study?). I’m in my late 20s with a few years of work experience. My GIC has $20k CAD. My program is an upgrade for my career too so I genuinely want to study.

I resigned after applying to take a break (my job was miserable) and I updated IRCC via web form but I got a template reply stating they don't need additional docs. According to other applicants I've asked, some resigned right after applying but still got approved so I didn't think this would cause any problems.

My SOP is good, I even started helping other applicants with their SOPs. Filipinos have this self-run FB group for SP applicants, they started messaging me asking for help so I obliged. They applied LATER than me in March-April through regular stream too and they already got their approvals in like 30 days! I’m happy for the but I’m in such pain when they thank me for getting them approved while mine isn’t here yet. These approved applicants, a lot of them had red flags or just barely had enough funds yet they still got approved. I'm just baffled by what's going on with mine.

I ordered GCMS notes twice and both times it said my application still needed to be reviewed. (The last GCMS notes came on June 2). I don’t know if I’ll make it to Fall 2022 intake anymore. I know I can defer but I’ve read articles that because of the backlog, some applicants are waiting almost 1-2 years for a permit :(

I’m already at the point where I’m just like ‘if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Can’t force it. I just wanna move on with my life.’ I'll probably look for a new job if the result isn't here by this month. I'm HOPING the timeline is I'll get the PRR in June and have the entire month of July to get my passport stamped, then leave by August.

I know there’s really no way to expedite besides the Webform. I’ve been sending updates through it like following up because it's beyond 13 weeks already. Once I included relevant additional docs (that were not included in my application but they weren’t required).

Is anyone else in a similar position? How's your application going? What're your plans moving forward?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
My wife applied for a second time (she received a previous refusal) and it's been more than 14 weeks and she hasn't received a decision from IRCC. We have raised webforms, sent several emails and last week, we even traveled to Argentina to speak with someone at the Canadian Embassy (Argentina is supposedly the VO that reviews applications from Chile) only to be told by the security guards that we could not speak with anybody. At this point, we are both very much disappointed with all of this process and all we want is a decision. My wife doesn't even care anymore what the decision is, she only wants a decision.

Currently, my wife was accepted to a European University and she is very excited about going there but she needs a decision from IRCC because she has to ask for a refund in case she receives a refusal. This hole process with IRCC drained every ounce of excitement we once had about the idea of studying in Canada.

Good luck with your application!

Reactions: chocomatcha

desperator7788

May 19, 2022
CHN
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
UNKNOWN
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
May 3 2022
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
Feb 14 2022 Upfront
My wife applied for a second time (she received a previous refusal) and it's been more than 14 weeks and she hasn't received a decision from IRCC. We have raised webforms, sent several emails and last week, we even traveled to Argentina to speak with someone at the Canadian Embassy (Argentina is supposedly the VO that reviews applications from Chile) only to be told by the security guards that we could not speak with anybody. At this point, we are both very much disappointed with all of this process and all we want is a decision. My wife doesn't even care anymore what the decision is, she only wants a decision.

Currently, my wife was accepted to a European University and she is very excited about going there but she needs a decision from IRCC because she has to ask for a refund in case she receives a refusal. This hole process with IRCC drained every ounce of excitement we once had about the idea of studying in Canada.

Sorry to hear that, but I got a feel that you and your wife will get your visa soon. Finger crossed.

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021

Hi thanks for the response! I'm sorry about your wife's application but that's great news she got accepted into European University! Hopefully, they can process her student permit application faster than Canada. I feel the same way, I don't even care anymore, the excitement has been drained. But wait, your wife can't ask for a refund unless she's refused? Is that a rule specific to her school? I always assumed that you can get a refund as long as you haven't started classes yet?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Hi thanks for the response! I'm sorry about your wife's application but that's great news she got accepted into European University! Hopefully, they can process her student permit application faster than Canada. I feel the same way, I don't even care anymore, the excitement has been drained. But wait, your wife can't ask for a refund unless she's refused? Is that a rule specific to her school? I always assumed that you can get a refund as long as you haven't started classes yet?
There is this "non-refundable deposit" thing which means a part of your tuition is non-refundable unless you receive a refusal to your study permit application. If you withdraw for some other reason, you won't get the refund.

Reactions: chocomatcha

o_s_91

Jan 2, 2019
Regular Stream Non-SDS from Saudia Arabia
Program: MASTERS

Application: 11 Feb 2022
Biometrics: Done from a first refused attempt which I got the decision in 50 days only.
Medical result: Not Needed
Review of eligibility: Not yet and no update yet since the application confirmation.

So, it's been around 120 days (4 months) = more than 16 weeks without any update.

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021

Biometrics: Done from a first refused attempt which I got the decision in 50 days only.
Review of eligibility: Not yet and no update yet since the application confirmation.

So, it's been around 120 days (4 months) = more than 16 weeks without any update.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Sorry about not having a decision yet. Are you planning to defer or do you have any plans yet moving forward?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
My wife requested today to defer her intake until next year because she still hasn't received a decision from IRCC....

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
My wife requested today to defer her intake until next year because she still hasn't received a decision from IRCC....
Ohh she’s not proceeding with going to European University? I’m thinking of deferring already too, probably will if it isn’t here by the end of the month.

o_s_91

Jan 2, 2019
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Sorry about not having a decision yet. Are you planning to defer or do you have any plans yet moving forward?
Hello, I already deferred from May to September - I have no other plans as I only had one chance to defer. Re-applying to Universities is a nightmare as I got accepted on my third attempt to a Masters's program and if I plan to apply to a new University then most properly it will be for an intake in 2023 because of deadline dates.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I JUST GOT MY PPR RIGHT NOW!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good news to hear you received a decision and it was a positive one!!!

Regarding my wife plans, she was accepted to a European University for the January 2023 term so she still has time to decide where to study in case she receives a positive decision from IRCC. In case they refuse her application, then Europe it is hahaha.

Good luck going forward with your plans!!!!!

o_s_91

Jan 2, 2019

I got an additional document request on 20 of June and I've uploaded what they asked for on 22 of June:-
- Updated Bank statement
- Updated Employment Letter
- Updated LOA as I already deferred from May to Sep

Do you think it's a good sign to request those three additional documents after more than 4 months without an update?