+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI Check Out of Date

jhock

Jan 19, 2011
I would assume that many people are in the same boat as we are as a result of the language testing changes. We were literally sending in our application the day that the law changed (I checked the website one last time to make sure I had everything, it was June 26th). With the language testing finally out of the way, our FBI certifications are beyond the three month validity. What happens if I send in the application with the old FBI cert. and explain that new ones are on the way? Do they contact you and ask for them to be sent in, or do the send the whole application back as incomplete. I have seen on this forum that quite a few people do not send in their FBI certifications right away. If anyone has experience with this, please let me know. This process has already taken so long, I don't want to wait another 18 weeks to get the process started.

Also, I am wondering if anyone has re-requested FBI background checks and if it takes less time the second time around (assuming that they already have a file open).

Any information would be great.

Thanks

karla2011

Jan 20, 2011
Hi!

You can send your application with your current FBI check. You should wait for them to ask you for new ones (if they will at all) because it actually sits on their desk for several months before they even open your application. I sent my application in with "expired" FBI checks and never asked for new one. They did however ask for other documentation. They will be in contact with you asking for whatever else they need. I know the process can be long and tedious but if you have everything else in your application send it away! Best of luck!

-K.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I don't think they'll return the application if the FBI cert is out of date. But Karla is right, you can't send the new one until you get your Acknowledgement of Receipt with the File Number (I would not necessarily wait until they ask for it, because then you'll run into the timing issue again).

I had to request the FBI cert 3 times, it SEEMED a lot faster the last time (it took them a month instead of the 4 months estimated time), I honestly don't know if that was because my cert had been processed before. But when you re-apply, make sure you put your SSN on the application, and it probably doesn't hurt to include a photocopy of your previous cert...

jhock

Jan 19, 2011
Thank you both very much for your responses. Karla2011, did you apply under the Canadian Experience Class? My only concern has been that rules are different for different classes (most who have said they sent in their FBI forms later were applying for the Federal Skilled Worker program). It does seem like they would allow a bit of leeway though, especially after the language requirements changed with no warning.

jes_ON, thanks for the info and tips, very good idea to send a copy of the previous ones with the request.

I will post any updates as to what happens with my application, though I am sure that any results are a long way off.

julie_van

Sep 1, 2010
I've had 2 FBI security clearances (1 for work, 1 for my PR application). The first one was WAYYYY faster. It took maybe a month to get my results. This time is was over 12 weeks.

candy4

Jan 24, 2011
FBI police certificate take anywhere between 5 weeks to 12 weeks. And it does not matter how many times you have applied for those.