+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest way to immigrate and work

pmcnary

Jul 20, 2010
ok first off,
let me say sorry for not searching through the forums for answers to the questions I am about to ask, but I have been struggling with my patience involving these issues.

Secondly let me explain the situation I have,
and then third I will mention the possibilities I thought of.

My situation:
I am a 27yo US citizen who is engaged to be married to a permanent resident of Montreal, QC.
My fiance and myself have been together since April of last year and where looking to most likely tie the knot in June of 2011.

My Dilema:
I don't have the educational or professional experiences to easily work my way in via Skilled worker, self-employed and other such means of permanent residence. Nor do I have the financial means to easily enter via a Student visa and work into permanent residence after I would get a degree.

The options I have thought of so far:
1. Student Visa - a major set back financially and time consuming, but atleast I can live in Canada with my Fiance.

2. Be sponsored by my Fiance

a. what are the detailed requirements to prove and then be sponsored as a de facto or conjugal spouse?
I ask that because we would like to be together, but not rush through the process of engagement and marriage as we would like to hold true to the traditions of her culture, and just not rush the process in general.

b. rush the engagement straight into marriage and get started on paper work and such.

I guess to cut short would be, (if this is enough info) going by what I've said so far,
I would like find out some suggestions (if any I haven't found), and or have some opinions on what would be my best bets to cross the border to live and work in Montreal ASAP.

thanks for any help,
~Patrick

pmcnary

Jul 20, 2010
*bump*

I would like to know the specific details involved in proving a Conjugal Partnership.
ex: cooperative financial records? time lived together? trips taken together?

what all do I absolutely need to prove my married like relationship, to canada ?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC says you should not apply as a conjugal partner if "[y]ou are engaged to be married. In this case, you should either apply as a spouse once the marriage has taken place or apply as a common-law partner if you have lived together continuously for at least 12 months."

There appears to be no impediment to your getting married, so you would need to wait until after you are married to apply (since you would need to live together for a year first to qualify as common-law, and your marriage is less than a year away). Unless you move your wedding date up, you're not likely to be a permanent resident before the fall of 2011, assuming processing times stay roughly the same.

edit: I think your processing time may be slightly longer because you're planning to move to Quebec.