28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mad_hatter said:
I won't want to be in Canada without medical insurance coverage.
Ultimately that's a personal choice. I completely agree with you and don't travel anywhere without insurance. However there are certainly people who travel without coverage.

I do agree this would be very risky for someone who is 88 and has significant medical issues - and there's a risk of incurring tens or even thousands of dollars of medical bills. At the same time, I expect it will be quite difficult to obtain travel insurance given her medical profile.

GKYL

Sep 14, 2016
Aside from my grandmother's health issue, another obstacle is to prove the relationship between her and me. My own birth cert shows my parents' name but my mom does not have a birth cert. Are there any acceptable ways to show the relationship? I have many family photos over last 4 decades with her. Would it help?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
GKYL said:
Aside from my grandmother's health issue, another obstacle is to prove the relationship between her and me. My own birth cert shows my parents' name but my mom does not have a birth cert. Are there any acceptable ways to show the relationship? I have many family photos over last 4 decades with her. Would it help?
I am going out on a limb here -- you'll need that birth certificate. You cannot just provide photos to prove maternal familial relationships.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
GKYL said:
Photos are useless. Do they have any other documents that prove the family relationship? Anything on official school documents? Passports?

Hasan9999

Champion Member
Sep 28, 2013
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
SVO
App. Filed.......
August 2013
LANDED..........
December, 2016
scylla said:
Ultimately that's a personal choice. I completely agree with you and don't travel anywhere without insurance. However there are certainly people who travel without coverage.

I do agree this would be very risky for someone who is 88 and has significant medical issues - and there's a risk of incurring tens or even thousands of dollars of medical bills. At the same time, I expect it will be quite difficult to obtain travel insurance given her medical profile.
At 88 years of age what is the chance of getting a TRV without a health insurance and on a wheel chair, who needs support to move....

I remember I was in a long flight to Canada and a very elderly man (in his early 80) was facing huge problem while using the wash room. The flight crews were reluctant to help. His wife was with him. Every time I got up and tried to help but it was really tough for him. The reality is different altogether. People like truesmile will always go by book!

Hasan

DeHdez15

Mar 10, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Request
Requested again Oct 20/16
Med's Done....
Oct 28/16 (2nd time)
Passport Req..
November 8/2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 21/2016
LANDED..........
December 10/2016
GKYL said:
I have my mother in Canada with a Supervisa now.
Medical Insurance, has to be purchased here in Canada, my mom is diabetic and if the person needs insulin injections, they don't cover you, my mom uses only pills to control her diabetes, but if in the future she needs to have insulin, I won't be able to buy insurance for her.
She is 72 years old, Diabetic and high blood pressure, it is not my intention to disappoint you, as I know how hard is to be worried for our loved ones, but check first if you can actually buy insurance for her, and then go for the super visa.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Hasan9999 said:
At 88 years of age what is the chance of getting a TRV without a health insurance and on a wheel chair, who needs support to move....

I remember I was in a long flight to Canada and a very elderly man (in his early 80) was facing huge problem while using the wash room. The flight crews were reluctant to help. His wife was with him. Every time I got up and tried to help but it was really tough for him. The reality is different altogether. People like truesmile will always go by book!

Hasan
I wonder if the airline would ask for medical clearance to allow her to fly. Given her situation. Flights from HK to Canada are pretty long...

EDIT: i double checked. Several airlines do have policies around this. They may ask for a medical.

I know it's hard to hear, but you may want to arrange to go there...

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Your mother and grandmother can go to the Hong Kong Home Affair Department and swore out a statement on their relationship. Declaration of this kind is acceptable by HK Government agencies and civil organisations.

GKYL

Sep 14, 2016
DeHdez15 said:
I have my mother in Canada with a Supervisa now.
Medical Insurance, has to be purchased here in Canada, my mom is diabetic and if the person needs insulin injections, they don't cover you, my mom uses only pills to control her diabetes, but if in the future she needs to have insulin, I won't be able to buy insurance for her.
She is 72 years old, Diabetic and high blood pressure, it is not my intention to disappoint you, as I know how hard is to be worried for our loved ones, but check first if you can actually buy insurance for her, and then go for the super visa.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind telling me which insurance company you purchase from? If you are not comfortable telling me in public, please pm me. Thank you very much!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The problem is that her health is too bad to be approved for a grandparent sponsorship, at least from what has been described. Even arthritis that is not too bad can lead to a refusal, because it is a progressive disease and the cost of a knee replacement, for example, is far beyond the maximum cost that is used to determine medical eligibility. It sounds like the grandmother needs a lot more than just one knee replaced, as well.
There is no use saying you would not use the medical services, because once the person is a PR, they have the right to medical care.
Applying for a super visa and getting insurance that would not cover arthritic problems might be better. This would lower the cost.
Applying for a TRV might be the simplest solution.

GKYL

Sep 14, 2016
mad_hatter said:
Your mother and grandmother can go to the Hong Kong Home Affair Department and swore out a statement on their relationship. Declaration of this kind is acceptable by HK Government agencies and civil organisations.
Thanks a lot for the tip. This is incredible! We will definitely check it out!

GKYL

Sep 14, 2016
Thank you every single one of you for your reply.

It sounds like the best (viable) strategy would be to apply for Super Visa (assuming I can get her medical insurance coverage and proof of relationship and medical note from her doc to fly) and then hire a lawyer to apply for PR on H&C grounds. No doubt it would be lots of hard work but I am willing to try.

My questions are:
1. Is it really OK to apply for PR when she is already in Canada on SV? I hate to bring her in and then find out she has to be out of Canada to apply.
2. Is the SV always valid for 10 years renewable every 2 years? I am hoping even if her PR application gets decline, she can stay with me for as long as possible on SV.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs. It is very much appreciated! :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
1. Is it really OK to apply for PR when she is already in Canada on SV? I hate to bring her in and then find out she has to be out of Canada to apply.

2. Is the SV always valid for 10 years renewable every 2 years?
[/quote]

1. You can apply for a PR from inside or outside. She can still 'visit' while the application is in process.

Please note that parent and grandparent sponsorship takes a long time, and it's a competition. The next competition is scheduled for January 3rd 2017 (if I remember correctly).

2. The super visa is usually valid for the life of the passport. She would have two years from the date of entry before she would have to leave (and come back).

DeHdez15

Mar 10, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Request
Requested again Oct 20/16
Med's Done....
Oct 28/16 (2nd time)
Passport Req..
November 8/2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 21/2016
LANDED..........
December 10/2016
GKYL said:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind telling me which insurance company you purchase from? If you are not comfortable telling me in public, please pm me. Thank you very much!
Not at all, there is only one company that Canada will accept Super Visa insurance, it's called GMS (Group Medical Services) you can call any insurance broker and they will ask some questions, to give you a quote, it's the same price at any insurance broker, they will ask her age, her health conditions, and how much deductible to want to have.
I paid, $2,750.00 for 1 year, Mom is 71 years old, Diabetes (using only pills) and High blood pressure...

GKYL

Sep 14, 2016
DeHdez15 said:
Not at all, there is only one company that Canada will accept Super Visa insurance, it's called GMS (Group Medical Services) you can call any insurance broker and they will ask some questions, to give you a quote, it's the same price at any insurance broker, they will ask her age, her health conditions, and how much deductible to want to have.
I paid, $2,750.00 for 1 year, Mom is 71 years old, Diabetes (using only pills) and High blood pressure...
Thanks DeHdez15 for info. I got a quote for my grandma and it's nearly double of yours with $0 deductible. And it doesn't even cover the pre-existing conditions.