+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsors- Missing Info Question IMM 5406

Cadvisap

Apr 4, 2022
Hi, I’ve just received an email from IRCC, saying my IMM 5406 form is missing/incomplete with some parts highlighted & underscored. I’m a bit confused. In my mom’s IMM 5406 filled online, I’ve included her husband, all children & her siblings. Why it still says missing?! Do ive submit IMM 5406 for each of her children?

Backgroud: I’m sponsoring my father while my mom is his dependent.

The letter states:

(My Mom’s name)

• IMM 5406 (for Dependant): The Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) provided was not completed fully. Please provide a current, completed, signed and dated Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand.
Thanks!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi, I’ve just received an email from IRCC, saying my IMM 5406 form is missing/incomplete with some parts highlighted & underscored. I’m a bit confused. In my mom’s IMM 5406 filled online, I’ve included her husband, all children & her siblings. Why it still says missing?! Do ive submit IMM 5406 for each of her children?

The letter states:

(My Mom’s name)

• IMM 5406 (for Dependant): The Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) provided was not completed fully. Please provide a current, completed, signed and dated Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must sign their own copy of this form by hand.
Thanks!
Did she sign it by hand? Does she have any children above 18?

Cadvisap

Apr 4, 2022
Did she sign it by hand? Does she have any children above 18?
Yes, we signed by hand. I’ve 2 other siblings and above 18. They are already in Canada. One with work permit while the other is PR. I’ve stated that they are NOT accompanying with my parents here in the separate letter so not sure what have I done wrong. Do I need to individually fill a separate IMM 5406 for my siblings?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Yes, we signed by hand. I’ve 2 other siblings and above 18. They are already in Canada. One with work permit while the other is PR. I’ve stated that they are NOT accompanying with my parents here in the separate letter so not sure what have I done wrong. Do I need to individually fill a separate IMM 5406 for my siblings?
It clearly says accompanying or not. Did you miss that? "and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh my bad!
No, I don't think your comment was bad at all.

And the points I'd go back to for the OP:
-IF any of the children are over 18 and under 22, they definitely need to fill out the form OR show that they are not dependents (and I think, but not sure, that the child being married is the main determinant);
-if they are over 22, my read is that they should not need to complete these forms (they are presumed not to be dependents) ---- BUT there have certainly been a few cases where IRCC has returned packages and insisted on these forms even though the children are clearly no longer dependents. (And if that's the case I odn't know what to do except insist...)

There are trickier cases where someone wants a child to be considered dependent over the age of 22 - typically mentally or physically infirm or disabled in some way - but that's not the question here and I don't know anything about such cases.

Cadvisap

Apr 4, 2022
No, I don't think your comment was bad at all.

And the points I'd go back to for the OP:
-IF any of the children are over 18 and under 22, they definitely need to fill out the form OR show that they are not dependents (and I think, but not sure, that the child being married is the main determinant);
-if they are over 22, my read is that they should not need to complete these forms (they are presumed not to be dependents) ---- BUT there have certainly been a few cases where IRCC has returned packages and insisted on these forms even though the children are clearly no longer dependents. (And if that's the case I odn't know what to do except insist...)

There are trickier cases where someone wants a child to be considered dependent over the age of 22 - typically mentally or physically infirm or disabled in some way - but that's not the question here and I don't know anything about such cases.
All of my siblings are over the age of 22 and are currently in Canada with a valid status. So they will not be a dependent of my dad (applicant) or mom (dependent). So I guess the best solution here is have my other siblings to fill out the IMM 5406 as well?! English isn’t my first language so I thought that it’s better I ask if I interpret the letter correctly so I’m glad you& DimT44 shared some insight here.

Another question is that my mom has a relative in Canada but we don’t know his exact address except the city as they no longer in contact. If I provide them this reason, is it going to a big problem?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All of my siblings are over the age of 22 and are currently in Canada with a valid status. So they will not be a dependent of my dad (applicant) or mom (dependent). So I guess the best solution here is have my other siblings to fill out the IMM 5406 as well?! English isn’t my first language so I thought that it’s better I ask if I interpret the letter correctly so I’m glad you& DimT44 shared some insight here.

Another question is that my mom has a relative in Canada but we don’t know his exact address except the city as they no longer in contact. If I provide them this reason, is it going to a big problem?
If you get along with your siblings and they wouldn't mind providing, even if it shouldn't be necessary, that would help you. Include of course a letter saying they are above the cut-off age and are not dependents (note if any married).

YOu don't say what relative of your mother's but what else can you do? Shoudln't be a big problem, you're not the first.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I'm out of ideas as to why they returned it. Here are my 2 cents based on what I understood so far.

You should have submitted two IMM 5406 with your application. One filled by your father (applicant) and one by your mother (dependant).

In both forms, you shouldn't leave an empty section (A person's info, spouse, and parents information, B children information, C brothers and sisters)

If you leave any box empty (address/email/ or otherwise) write N/A. If someone is deceased you have to indicate that too.

In the name section write it both in English and the original language (Arabic, Hindi, etc.)

And the form should be hand signed.

Review the form they returned, your mother's, is it missing anything from what's above? If you have a copy of your father's, compare it to the one they returned. Are there any discrepancies? Anything at all missing?

That's all I can think of.

Anor

Jun 17, 2022
Did you include yourself in the Children section? That might be the reason because you have to include yourself even if you are in Canada as PR or citizen.

BehBeh2

Star Member
Oct 8, 2014

The letter states:

(My Mom’s name)

Thanks!
I got the same exact email from them. I also had all information filled online. Now they say the Info is not complete and fill a pdf form, instead of online form in portal that I did for application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got the same exact email from them. I also had all information filled online. Now they say the Info is not complete and fill a pdf form, instead of online form in portal that I did for application.
Were the siblings who are not dependents included on the IMM0008 form?