+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family emergency travel on Maintain status

Shriji2902

Jul 25, 2019
I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance regarding my current immigration status and urgent travel plans.
I arrived in Canada as a student in 2019 and subsequently obtained a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which expired on September 11, 2024. I applied for a work permit extension based on my spouse on August 7, 2024(My husband has a PGWP). My husband and I work in TEER 1 occupations (I am an IT Analyst, and he is a Mechanical Engineer)

Due to a family emergency, I need to travel to India as soon as possible to support my father, who requires psychological support as confirmed by his doctor.

I have several questions regarding my situation:
If I travel to India and return to Canada while my application for the work permit extension is still being processed, I will have to come as a Visitor, which would prevent me from working.
Would flagpoling be a viable option for me to get a work permit before I leave canada? What steps should I take if I choose this route?

tee2406

Star Member
Jun 6, 2024
I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance regarding my current immigration status and urgent travel plans.
I arrived in Canada as a student in 2019 and subsequently obtained a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which expired on September 11, 2024. I applied for a work permit extension based on my spouse on August 7, 2024(My husband has a PGWP). My husband and I work in TEER 1 occupations (I am an IT Analyst, and he is a Mechanical Engineer)

Due to a family emergency, I need to travel to India as soon as possible to support my father, who requires psychological support as confirmed by his doctor.

I have several questions regarding my situation:
If I travel to India and return to Canada while my application for the work permit extension is still being processed, I will have to come as a Visitor, which would prevent me from working.
Would flagpoling be a viable option for me to get a work permit before I leave canada? What steps should I take if I choose this route?
do not do flag poling if you do not have status and you already have an application in process so you can't do that.

How long do you have to go to India for? At some point you have to choose which is more important. you can go to india and just wait until your work permit is approved. or you can wait until you get a response from IRCC.