+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Sponsorship (Outland)

NaanaAGY

Sep 4, 2024
Category........
FAM
Hi
I would really appreciate clarification on my situation. I'm a Canadian who's been living abroad for a couple of years now and I'm planning to move back to Canada with my husband and our two little ones. Our Family Class Sponsorship is currently being processed.
Is it possible for my husband (the Principal applicant- PR) to arrive in Canada first? That is if our baby's Canadian passport isn't ready and I (Canadian sponsor) have to wait in the country we're currently in to receive baby's passport.
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi
I would really appreciate clarification on my situation. I'm a Canadian who's been living abroad for a couple of years now and I'm planning to move back to Canada with my husband and our two little ones. Our Family Class Sponsorship is currently being processed.
Is it possible for my husband (the Principal applicant- PR) to arrive in Canada first? That is if our baby's Canadian passport isn't ready and I (Canadian sponsor) have to wait in the country we're currently in to receive baby's passport.
Thanks
Basically it is possible. It would likely be better for him to wait until the PR docs are complete (doing the admin procedures as a visitor can be unpredictably long).

And generally getting the kid's passport should not take very long, possibly a couple of months. It should be possible to do urgently depending on circumstances. Hope you've already applied though.

Reactions: NaanaAGY

NaanaAGY

Sep 4, 2024
Category........
FAM
Basically it is possible. It would likely be better for him to wait until the PR docs are complete (doing the admin procedures as a visitor can be unpredictably long).

And generally getting the kid's passport should not take very long, possibly a couple of months. It should be possible to do urgently depending on circumstances. Hope you've already applied though.

Thanks for your response
We're actually waiting for our baby's citizenship certificate to arrive so we can apply for the passport. We have a feeling my husband's visa/COPR could come sooner so we decided to explore the option of him going first (if it's allowed) in the case baby doesn't have a passport by then.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your response
We're actually waiting for our baby's citizenship certificate to arrive so we can apply for the passport. We have a feeling my husband's visa/COPR could come sooner so we decided to explore the option of him going first (if it's allowed) in the case baby doesn't have a passport by then.
You do not need the citizenship certificate to apply for the passport. You take copies of the application for the citizenship certificate and supporting docs (most important is your citizenship docs, birth certificate of child showing parentage) and apply for passport on that basis. You may need to inform them you plan to travel 'soon.'

Essentially they treat the child as a presumptive citizen and issue a temporary passport. Since young children often only get one or two year passports anyway, it's not a significant restriction.

Reactions: NaanaAGY and YVR123

NaanaAGY

Sep 4, 2024
Category........
FAM

Thanks! This info helps so much!