+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Sponsorship - Common-Law - Currently on Study Permit

Jan 28, 2015
Hi,

I am very new to this forum and I learned about it from a post on Reddit. I read some posts on this forum, and tried to find someone in a similar situation as mine but was not able to. So apologies if this is a repost.

My girlfriend and I fall into the common-law status, and we would like to apply for the Inland family class sponsorship so that she can sponsor me to become a permanent resident. We are planning on submitting the documents within February. Seeing that the wait time is long I had a few question I was hoping someone here could help.

I, an International Student, currently have a study permit, and co-op/off campus work permit. My employer has already offered to hire me on, but it could only last until the end of August ( as the off campus work permit only allows 20 hours/week during school year and that is if enrolled as a full-time student in school. and I am currently on co-op.) Considering the long wait time for the first stage of the process, what are the chances that I will be able to receive my Open work Permit before August if we apply within February? And do they only issue the OWP after the first stage is done?

If the chances are very small ( which I assume they are ), then how should I approach to my stay in Canada while the application is being processed? Will I be able to enroll in Classes without having to re-apply for study permit? Will I be able to continue working full hours despite the fact that it would be inconsistent with the current policies of my current permit ? Or will I be able to just stay in Canada without any valid permit?

I would be very grateful if someone who is in a similar situation or has some knowledge in this matter could assist me.

Thanks,
Farzan