+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class or In Canada Class

Jan 15, 2018
Hello, I am sponsoring my Italian spouse for permanent residence. We are unsure of which application to send, the inside Canada or outside Canada. He has been living in Canada with me for a few years now returning to Italy periodically to visit family and keep work contacts. While in Canada he is here as a Visitor. Our dilemma is that we are very confused about which method to process our application. He would like to be able to visit Italy as his mother is a senior, and we would also like to take an international trip. But the concern is what if there are issues upon re-entry into Canada, as that may jeopardize our application.
We were at first planning on sending the application as In Canada so he can also apply for a work permit. But this is secondary to us at this point. Both process times are similiar now, I believe at being around the 12 months mark.
Another question is, is he allowed to drive while waiting for the application to be processed? We live in Vancouver, BC. Any assistance will be appreciated!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello, I am sponsoring my Italian spouse for permanent residence. We are unsure of which application to send, the inside Canada or outside Canada. He has been living in Canada with me for a few years now returning to Italy periodically to visit family and keep work contacts. While in Canada he is here as a Visitor. Our dilemma is that we are very confused about which method to process our application. He would like to be able to visit Italy as his mother is a senior, and we would also like to take an international trip. But the concern is what if there are issues upon re-entry into Canada, as that may jeopardize our application.
We were at first planning on sending the application as In Canada so he can also apply for a work permit. But this is secondary to us at this point. Both process times are similiar now, I believe at being around the 12 months mark.
Another question is, is he allowed to drive while waiting for the application to be processed? We live in Vancouver, BC. Any assistance will be appreciated!
If he's planning on leaving Canada frequently for trips then do outland, and yes, he can visit.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
You can apply either inland or outland regardless of whether he is in Canada or not.

Some reading on the merits of each here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada#Inland_vs_Outland_Applications

By the sounds of your situation, I would have thought 'outland' would be better, if you are not fussed about him working in Canada.

As regards driving in Canada, nothing to do with immigration status

Jan 15, 2018

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A visitor in BC can drive on their home country license for 6 months. Whether that is counted as 6 months from each entry, I don't know. You would have to contact ICBC.

If he has a Visitor Record, he can apply for a BC license. Italy doesn't have a license exchange agreement with BC, so he would have to do knowledge/road tests.

Reactions: 604