+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fall 2020 intake. Need some guidance

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020
I applied for PGDM 1 yr program. I haven’t received AIP yet. I was planning to defer my course to Jan 2021 to be on a safer side for work permit but my course is not available in jan2021 or may2021 to defer. Is it possible that in December they won’t let us enter the country and we would be left with a online certification without work permits?

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I applied for PGDM 1 yr program. I haven’t received AIP yet. I was planning to defer my course to Jan 2021 to be on a safer side for work permit but my course is not available in jan2021 or may2021 to defer. Is it possible that in December they won’t let us enter the country and we would be left with a online certification without work permits?
I feel like even if they keep the borders closed, they'll somehow accommodate the situation. if they wanted to give up on us, there wouldn't have been any changes to SP and PGWP in the first place.

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020
I feel like even if they keep the borders closed, they'll somehow accommodate the situation. if they wanted to give up on us, there wouldn't have been any changes to SP and PGWP in the first place.
I felt the same way but on various threads I’ve seen 90% of the students have deferred the course to jan 2021 by saying it’s risky for 1 yr course students. I’m totally confused and don’t have any idea what should be my next step!

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I felt the same way but on various threads I’ve seen 90% of the students have deferred the course to jan 2021 by saying it’s risky for 1 yr course students. I’m totally confused and don’t have any idea what should be my next step!
oh sorry i completely missed the fact that you're in a 1 year program. yeah, if that was my case I would definitely defer. I'm sure there will be a lot of flexibility for all students but it's not guaranteed. and if there's way too much to lose, I'd rather wait

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019

I really hope they don't give up on international students' efforts, energy, struggles, sacrifices & lives. We are humans too & deserve to be treated fairly & justly with respect to the work & effort we have put in & continue to put in.

But unfortunately, they are saying that online classes are " non-essential " for entry & are preventing the entry of even those with full approval & visa issued before March 18th. Of course, our lives may be " non-essential " for them, but the reality is we too are humans & they should not be showing this use-&-throw behaviour to us.

I really don't understand one thing - why are they encouraging more & more students to apply for a study permit & why are they issuing the AIP at all, when they are not even allowing those who are exempt with a full approval before March 18th to travel ? Giving lame excuses that online is " non-essential " & thereby preventing the entry of even those with a full approval is nothing but tacitly cheating students.

Seems they are only interested in getting the money that international students pay every step along the way - to IRCC, to the colleges, etc. $22 billion / year is not negligible, but indeed our lives & careers are "non-essential". They want our money but don't want to allow us inside.

Reactions: Bond 007

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020
I really hope they don't give up on international students' efforts, energy, struggles, sacrifices & lives. We are humans too & deserve to be treated fairly & justly with respect to the work & effort we have put in & continue to put in.

But unfortunately, they are saying that online classes are " non-essential " for entry & are preventing the entry of even those with full approval & visa issued before March 18th. Of course, our lives may be " non-essential " for them, but the reality is we too are humans & they should not be showing this use-&-throw behaviour to us.

I really don't understand one thing - why are they encouraging more & more students to apply for a study permit & why are they issuing the AIP at all, when they are not even allowing those who are exempt with a full approval before March 18th to travel ? Giving lame excuses that online is " non-essential " & thereby preventing the entry of even those with a full approval is nothing but tacitly cheating students.

Seems they are only interested in getting the money that international students pay every step along the way - to IRCC, to the colleges, etc. $22 billion / year is not negligible, but indeed our lives & careers are "non-essential". They want our money but don't want to allow us inside.
Exactly! That’s the only reason I’m totally confused and don’t know where to go or consult.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Exactly! That’s the only reason I’m totally confused and don’t know where to go or consult.

Why don't you ask your institution about what they will advise you to do now?

We need to put pressure on the universities & colleges to help us & make the government allow us inside. They can't just leave us in quandary like this by saying that our studies & lives are "non-essential".

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020
Why don't you ask your institution about what they will advise you to do now?

We need to put pressure on the universities & colleges to help us & make the government allow us inside. They can't just leave us in quandary like this by saying that our studies & lives are "non-essential".
Institute is answering: ‘We have to work according to the government Policies’

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019

you have to understand that we're in a pandemic. they can't let foreigners in & risk their own citizens' health & the country's economy. because as far as I know, the pandemic hit Canada pretty hard, and it's completely understandable that they're being super careful with opening the borders. they 100% don't want the second wave to happen.

I also don't think it'd be a smart decision to get the money from students and abandon them later, because Canada depends on immigrants a lot. and I feel like students are valuable since they already have Canadian education & experience.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
you have to understand that we're in a pandemic. they can't let foreigners in & risk their own citizens' health & the country's economy. because as far as I know, the pandemic hit Canada pretty hard, and it's completely understandable that they're being super careful with opening the borders. they 100% don't want the second wave to happen.

I also don't think it'd be a smart decision to get the money from students and abandon them later, because Canada depends on immigrants a lot. and I feel like students are valuable since they already have Canadian education & experience.
Oh of course I know we're in the middle of a pandemic.

But they are indeed allowing MANY international students ( 1st time entrants to Canada ) from different countries inside at various ports of entry everyday, even though those students have FULLY ONLINE classes for the fall, which is a "non-essential" purpose for travel & entry. That's the problem.

EITHER allow all students with approval inside, OR don't allow any student inside at all. Differentiating between students who all have ONLINE classes, is the problem. The least to be done now during a pandemic is ONE rule for ALL online students.

I'm not talking about those with in-class courses. The issue is with the varying treatment given to students who all have the same circumstances - online classes. Allowing some inside & denying others is clearly not helping at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vivek2020

Shayshay_127

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019

But they are indeed allowing MANY international students ( 1st time entrants to Canada ) from different countries inside at various ports of entry everyday, even though those students have FULLY ONLINE classes for the fall, which is a "non-essential" purpose for travel & entry. That's the problem.

EITHER allow all students with approval inside, OR don't allow any student inside at all. Differentiating between students who all have ONLINE classes, is the problem. The least to be done now during a pandemic is ONE rule for ALL online students.

I'm not talking about those with in-class courses. The issue is with the varying treatment given to students who all have the same circumstances - online classes. Allowing some inside & denying others is clearly not helping at all.
oh seriously?? Didn't know that. I only heard about the US students entering Canada. Maybe it has something to do with political relationships between some countries and Canada, idk

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020

I checked the stats. There are only 3500 active cases in canada right now. It has a very high recovery rate now!

Sahil2315

Aug 21, 2020

Moreover if they are allowing all the US students to enter the borders then it should be same for other countries as well which have comparatively very less cases left.