+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed Flagpoling 15 Oct 2019 Peace Bridge and Rainbow Bridge

Maggie19

Oct 17, 2019
Hi,

So this forum has been extremely informative throughout my PR journey and in a sense I wanted to share my experience to help others NOT go through what I went through.

Express Entry Application (in-land FWS): January 26th 2019
ITA: January 28th 2019
PR Submission: February 27th 2019
COPR: September 20th 2019 (Ottawa office)
Passport sent: October 3rd 2019
Passport and COPR returned: October 7th 2019

So initially, after reading all the reviews I thought I would try my luck and request for an appointment in an in-land office. I called the IRCC's number 1 888 242 2100 and was directed to send an email to ircc.pra-rvpr.ircc@cic.gc.ca which I did. After about 2 weeks of waiting and not hearing back, I referred back to this forum and discovered, for Kitchener near where I live, it could take as long as a month to 6 weeks to get an appointment. This was too long, on top of reading that some people on attending the IRCC appointment were still directed to go to the border.

After reading about flag-poling and calling the Canada Border Agency on 1 800 461 999, I was told that COPR is done at all Niagara bridges on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 8am and midnight. So on Tuesday15th October 2019 at 5:30am, my daughter (who is 2years old) and I set off for Peace bridge, because I read that is has less traffic and better chances of success.

We arrived at the bridge at 7:30am and I turned to the Canada side (I did not cross to the US - I was still ignorant of the flag-poling), told the officer we were flag-poling and he said it was too early and we cannot stay there. So we drove out, paid the toll $5 and went to McDonalds to have breakfast and wait. We came back at 8am (again I did not go to the US side), the lady officer told us we need to go to the U.S border and get the flagpole letter. So we drove through to turn back to the U.S side. There was a bit of traffic at this point (8:30am), so we finally got to the US border agent and told him we were flag-poling, he sent us to a building. I packed the car and we walked in. An officer called us up about 5minutes later and said since we had U.S visas that were about to expire, he can extend it 6 months instead of the flagpole letter as a better option so we can go in and out by land if we choose to. So I agreed, paid $6 and I was on my way back to the Canada side.

On reaching the Canada side, I went to another border agent, a gentleman, who asked me why I was there. I said I was landing, I had come from the U.S. He asked how long we were gone, I said about 30mins. He asked if I was flag-poling, I said I guess...He said where is the flagpole letter, I said the U.S. officer extended our visa instead. He said so? I was confused at this point too, he said I need the flagpole letter and asked me if I know how it works. I said I guess not. He said in any case the office is closed. It was about 9am now. He said we can try and come back later with the letter (which is only valid for that day I realized). Then he asked where I live (Kitchener), my status in Canada (Student), who I live with (just my daughter and I), if I have a husband (no). After all that he said we need to come back later! What time, he is not sure.

So decided to drive to Rainbow bridge to get this 'flagpole' letter and try my luck there. Little did I know, now after reading posts, that it is the WORST! There was no traffic, I went to the U.S, it took less than 15mins to get the flagpole letter and I didn't even have to get out of the car. Went back to the Canada side, the border lady said oh no, Rainbow is the worst. The office is closed and that I am lucky I have a car, I should go to Sarnia or 1000 islands. They have no time restrictions and they are mandated to help us. She said if the officer refuses, ask for the superintendent. She said people sleep on Rainbow bridge from 2am waiting for immigration, Niagara is the busiest area.

So as you can tell, my daughter and I went back to Kitchener very disappointed. I decided to call the Canada Border line again to share my experience and the gentleman said they (border agents) try to the very best with the little resources they have and although they are supposed to help in immigration matters, that IRCC is essentially "dumping" their job onto border agents. He was very defensive about it, saying that their job is to help genuine travellers and look for suspicious cargo not to deal with immigration matters. He said this time of year is busy with people looking for work permits to harvest and prepare the farms for next year in addition to students seeking to renew their study permits. Then I explained but the COPR letter tells us we can land at the border and he said that is unfortunate but the reality it's different. He said 80% of people who try to land at the border go home disappointed and its all a gamble - basically like winning the lottery! I asked him if Sarnia is a better bet given his expertise and he said he cannot guarantee anything. That I might be through but I might not.

Now Sarnia is over 2 hours away and I am planning to try my luck again this weekend. I will let you know how it goes this time. Anyone who has been successful, please share your experience.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

So this forum has been extremely informative throughout my PR journey and in a sense I wanted to share my experience to help others NOT go through what I went through.

Express Entry Application (in-land FWS): January 26th 2019
ITA: January 28th 2019
PR Submission: February 27th 2019
COPR: September 20th 2019 (Ottawa office)
Passport sent: October 3rd 2019
Passport and COPR returned: October 7th 2019

So initially, after reading all the reviews I thought I would try my luck and request for an appointment in an in-land office. I called the IRCC's number 1 888 242 2100 and was directed to send an email to ircc.pra-rvpr.ircc@cic.gc.ca which I did. After about 2 weeks of waiting and not hearing back, I referred back to this forum and discovered, for Kitchener near where I live, it could take as long as a month to 6 weeks to get an appointment. This was too long, on top of reading that some people on attending the IRCC appointment were still directed to go to the border.

After reading about flag-poling and calling the Canada Border Agency on 1 800 461 999, I was told that COPR is done at all Niagara bridges on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 8am and midnight. So on Tuesday15th October 2019 at 5:30am, my daughter (who is 2years old) and I set off for Peace bridge, because I read that is has less traffic and better chances of success.

We arrived at the bridge at 7:30am and I turned to the Canada side (I did not cross to the US - I was still ignorant of the flag-poling), told the officer we were flag-poling and he said it was too early and we cannot stay there. So we drove out, paid the toll $5 and went to McDonalds to have breakfast and wait. We came back at 8am (again I did not go to the US side), the lady officer told us we need to go to the U.S border and get the flagpole letter. So we drove through to turn back to the U.S side. There was a bit of traffic at this point (8:30am), so we finally got to the US border agent and told him we were flag-poling, he sent us to a building. I packed the car and we walked in. An officer called us up about 5minutes later and said since we had U.S visas that were about to expire, he can extend it 6 months instead of the flagpole letter as a better option so we can go in and out by land if we choose to. So I agreed, paid $6 and I was on my way back to the Canada side.

On reaching the Canada side, I went to another border agent, a gentleman, who asked me why I was there. I said I was landing, I had come from the U.S. He asked how long we were gone, I said about 30mins. He asked if I was flag-poling, I said I guess...He said where is the flagpole letter, I said the U.S. officer extended our visa instead. He said so? I was confused at this point too, he said I need the flagpole letter and asked me if I know how it works. I said I guess not. He said in any case the office is closed. It was about 9am now. He said we can try and come back later with the letter (which is only valid for that day I realized). Then he asked where I live (Kitchener), my status in Canada (Student), who I live with (just my daughter and I), if I have a husband (no). After all that he said we need to come back later! What time, he is not sure.

So decided to drive to Rainbow bridge to get this 'flagpole' letter and try my luck there. Little did I know, now after reading posts, that it is the WORST! There was no traffic, I went to the U.S, it took less than 15mins to get the flagpole letter and I didn't even have to get out of the car. Went back to the Canada side, the border lady said oh no, Rainbow is the worst. The office is closed and that I am lucky I have a car, I should go to Sarnia or 1000 islands. They have no time restrictions and they are mandated to help us. She said if the officer refuses, ask for the superintendent. She said people sleep on Rainbow bridge from 2am waiting for immigration, Niagara is the busiest area.

So as you can tell, my daughter and I went back to Kitchener very disappointed. I decided to call the Canada Border line again to share my experience and the gentleman said they (border agents) try to the very best with the little resources they have and although they are supposed to help in immigration matters, that IRCC is essentially "dumping" their job onto border agents. He was very defensive about it, saying that their job is to help genuine travellers and look for suspicious cargo not to deal with immigration matters. He said this time of year is busy with people looking for work permits to harvest and prepare the farms for next year in addition to students seeking to renew their study permits. Then I explained but the COPR letter tells us we can land at the border and he said that is unfortunate but the reality it's different. He said 80% of people who try to land at the border go home disappointed and its all a gamble - basically like winning the lottery! I asked him if Sarnia is a better bet given his expertise and he said he cannot guarantee anything. That I might be through but I might not.

Now Sarnia is over 2 hours away and I am planning to try my luck again this weekend. I will let you know how it goes this time. Anyone who has been successful, please share your experience.
Agree that CBSA isn’t really meant to deal with immigration issues for people already in Canada. I would book an appointment to land which you can always cancel if you are able to flagpole.

Maggie19

Oct 17, 2019
Agree that CBSA isn’t really meant to deal with immigration issues for people already in Canada. I would book an appointment to land which you can always cancel if you are able to flagpole.
Thanks for the advise. I did manage to successfully flagpole in Sarnia today :)

lospochos21ca

Jul 9, 2019
Hey, Congratulations!!!

Right now, I'm waiting for my passport and I'm thinking if I also go to Sarnia, so I would like to have a little more details of your experience how it was in Sarnia? What time did you arrive?, how long did it take?, did they ask you some questions? did they ask you for documents?

thanks in advance

Maggie19

Oct 17, 2019
Hey, Congratulations!!!

Right now, I'm waiting for my passport and I'm thinking if I also go to Sarnia, so I would like to have a little more details of your experience how it was in Sarnia? What time did you arrive?, how long did it take?, did they ask you some questions? did they ask you for documents?

thanks in advance
Thanks!

I wrote about it here https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/great-flagpole-experience-sarnia-oct-19-2019.659963/#post-8245883