+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of post-graduate work permit procedure after passport renewal during sponsorship application processing

springnguyen

Apr 8, 2022
Hello all,

My PGWP is valid only for 25 months because of my passport expiry date, and it will be expired this July. However, I'm now waiting for the Pr under the Spousal Sponsorship. I already got a pre-arrival service letter 3 weeks ago and all steps have been completed (eligibility, background verification, medical test and biometric), but still waiting for the approval letter or eCOPR.
My situation here is a little bit complex. I would like to know anyone here is in the same boat and I'd be thankful if you help me with my questions

1. Do I need to apply for a PGWP extension since I check the processing time is 270 days (for mail application) and my sponsor application hasn't had the result yet?
2. Do I consider having an "Implied status" until my Sponsorship decision is rendered?

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

My PGWP is valid only for 25 months because of my passport expiry date, and it will be expired this July. However, I'm now waiting for the Pr under the Spousal Sponsorship. I already got a pre-arrival service letter 3 weeks ago and all steps have been completed (eligibility, background verification, medical test and biometric), but still waiting for the approval letter or eCOPR.
My situation here is a little bit complex. I would like to know anyone here is in the same boat and I'd be thankful if you help me with my questions

1. Do I need to apply for a PGWP extension since I check the processing time is 270 days (for mail application) and my sponsor application hasn't had the result yet?
2. Do I consider having an "Implied status" until my Sponsorship decision is rendered?

Thanks,
Did you apply for spousal sponsorship inland? Did you submit an Open Work Permit application with the spousal sponsorship application?

springnguyen

Apr 8, 2022
Did you apply for spousal sponsorship inland? Did you submit an Open Work Permit application with the spousal sponsorship application?
Nope, I didn't submit the Open Work Permit since I already have PGWP. I've applied for inland spousal sponsorship in Nov 2021

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nope, I didn't submit the Open Work Permit since I already have PGWP. I've applied for inland spousal sponsorship in Nov 2021
In that case you don't have implied status. You need to extend the PGWP if you want to have implied status and be allowed to legally work after your PGWP expires (and before your PR is approved) - or apply for an OWP if you have AIP.

Reactions: YVR123