+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of IEC work permit refused. Help needed.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Hello My partner recently applied to extend her IEC work permit but was declined with the officer citing section R203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

"After considering all the circumstances of your case, your application for a work permit cannot
be approved as requested as per section R203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection
Regulations. You do not possess a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment and Confirmation
from Employment and Social Development Canada. Your prospective employer is responsible
for obtaining this confirmation."

The original work permit offered was the working holiday one year visa offered under IEC Canada. It was our understanding that we could get an extension that was exempt from the labor market impact assessment citing exemption code c21.

Does anyone know what our options are upon expiration of the IEC working holiday visa? were we mistaken to apply for a work permit extension and should we have instead applied for the IEC young professional visa?

If there's any confusion I can provide more information as requested. I have become quite confused myself with the whole application process and am wondering if anyone can recommend what next steps we should take.

Thank you very much for your time, I'm looking forward to hearing back from anyone more knowledgeable than myself.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Hello My partner recently applied to extend her IEC work permit but was declined with the officer citing section R203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

"After considering all the circumstances of your case, your application for a work permit cannot
be approved as requested as per section R203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection
Regulations. You do not possess a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment and Confirmation
from Employment and Social Development Canada. Your prospective employer is responsible

The original work permit offered was the working holiday one year visa offered under IEC Canada. It was our understanding that we could get an extension that was exempt from the labor market impact assessment citing exemption code c21.

Does anyone know what our options are upon expiration of the IEC working holiday visa? were we mistaken to apply for a work permit extension and should we have instead applied for the IEC young professional visa?

If there's any confusion I can provide more information as requested. I have become quite confused myself with the whole application process and am wondering if anyone can recommend what next steps we should take.

Thank you very much for your time, I'm looking forward to hearing back from anyone more knowledgeable than myself.

I will add that my partner has a job offer from her current employee for another year which they submitted to immigration Canada

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

IEC (WHP) is specifically non-extendable. It can only be followed by a brand new work permit application. You should have done your homework.

Last edited:

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for the reply, Yes it seems I should have.

so a new work permit under the IEC young professional category is what's required? Or apply for permanent residency with a bridging open work permit?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

so a new work permit under the IEC young professional category is what's required? Or apply for permanent residency with a bridging open work permit?

Thanks
Yes, either of those are possible alternatives.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks
Whether she can apply for an IEC under the YP program will depend on her country of nationality. Also - sometimes there is a break required between the WHV and YP.

To apply for a BOWP, she would first have to receive ITA and submit her application - or have been successfully nominated through a provinces PNP program. She must also be holding a valid work permit at the time she applies for the BOWP.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Whether she can apply for an IEC under the YP program will depend on her country of nationality. Also - sometimes there is a break required between the WHV and YP.

To apply for a BOWP, she would first have to receive ITA and submit her application - or have been successfully nominated through a provinces PNP program. She must also be holding a valid work permit at the time she applies for the BOWP.
Thanks for the reply. Her resident country is Germany. I am going through the application process for the YP visa at the moment, I haven't come across anything that says a break is required yet.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Great thank you. when applying for the young professional category is it still possible to use the labor market impact assessment exemption code c21?
The exemption code is the same but read what @scylla said.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply. Her resident country is Germany. I am going through the application process for the YP visa at the moment, I haven't come across anything that says a break is required yet.
Yes - YP is totally doable in that case. But just to be clear, you won't be applying for the work permit as a next step. She has to enter the pool (just like she did for the WHV) and wait to be selected.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Yes - YP is totally doable in that case. But just to be clear, you won't be applying for the work permit as a next step. She has to enter the pool (just like she did for the WHV) and wait to be selected.
Ok I see, I saw that processing times for the YP are around 8 weeks. Does anyone know approximately how long it may take for an invitation to apply?

Thanks

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Thank you very much for the replies, I greatly appreciate it.

I have entered the pool for the YP visa hopefully it doesn't take too long. One last question, say my partners current WHV expires while she is out of the country in May and her YP visa hasn't been approved by the time she wishes to re-enter Canada, will she be able to enter on a tourist visa and wait here without working until the new visa is hopefully approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok I see, I saw that processing times for the YP are around 8 weeks. Does anyone know approximately how long it may take for an invitation to apply?

Thanks
The draw dates aren't posted - so hard to say. Yes - processing of the YP work permit (once selected out of the pool) will take around two months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the replies, I greatly appreciate it.

I have entered the pool for the YP visa hopefully it doesn't take too long. One last question, say my partners current WHV expires while she is out of the country in May and her YP visa hasn't been approved by the time she wishes to re-enter Canada, will she be able to enter on a tourist visa and wait here without working until the new visa is hopefully approved?
Yes - she can come as a visitor provided has has a valid eTA.