+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending your stay as a Visitor- Urgent Pls!

Aalam

Jun 12, 2012
Hi,

I applied for work permit some time back but was refused as i did not provide an LMO. After getting that letter when i went to my employer they refused to provide an LMO. I was left with no choice but to extend my stay as a visitor. I applied for the application online however i was wondering if i have to send in my passport by mail. If not, then what exactly does the government issue incase of an acceptance.

My PR is also in process so i applied the visit extension on the basis of buying time until my pr card comes though?

Did i do that wrong?

Thank you!

avocadosandcheese

Star Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa/LA???
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-05-2012
AOR Received.
Never.
File Transfer...
March-28-2012...supposedly
Med's Done....
August-15-2011
Passport Req..
June-27-2012
VISA ISSUED...
July-5-2012
LANDED..........
July-25-2012
You don't have to send your passport in. They will mail you a document that is your extension. Hope that helps.

RaniaM

Jun 19, 2012
Hi,

I'm in the same situation as yours. I got a refusal of renewing my permit because of LMO missing (the company i was wrking for doesnt apply for foreign workers for entry level positions). So i had to re establish my status as a visitor. Once I get the resestablishment I have the choice to send a temporary residence visa application (visitor) to the canadian visa office in NEw York (Buffalo is closed now), or go back to my country to apply for the visitor visa. I'm also in the process of getting the PR, so far took the medic exams and they are received. You do not need to apply for the visa if you have re established your status as a visiotr. you only need to do so if you are planing to leave canada and come back.

BUT, thers a new update on the work permit application. IF YOU HAVE THE CSQ OR HAVE THE PROVENCIAL DOCUMENT which nominates you for the permanent residency, YOU ARE EXEMPTED FROM LMO!! this new law came out 2 or 3 weeks ago. you just need a job offer, and the nominee paper from the province you live in and you can ask again for the work permit. If you have already sent a re establishement of your status as a visitor and the government hasnt opened your file yet, you can call them and cancel the application before they start treating it and re apply for the work permit. The issue with not canceling the application as a visitor is that you cannot ask for a work permit from inside canada if you r a visitor.
You can check cic website as I cannot post a link to a website, and search for LMO exemption, you'll find the text confirming the exemption.
Working temporarily in Canada: Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion

People in the following categories need a work permit but do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC).

Workers covered under international agreements
Professionals, traders, investors and business people coming to Canada to work under certain international agreements.
Workers, their spouses/common-law partners or their dependants who are eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project
Through agreements between the Government of Canada and provincial/territorial governments, some workers, as well as their spouses, common-law partners and dependants, may be eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project. These temporary initiatives are designed to attract particular workers that the province or territory needs. Find out if you are eligible to come to Canada through a pilot project.
Workers nominated by a province for permanent residence
Generally, a person who has been nominated by a province for permanent residence and has a job offer from an employer based in that province.

Hope this helps

Aalam said:
Hi,

I applied for work permit some time back but was refused as i did not provide an LMO. After getting that letter when i went to my employer they refused to provide an LMO. I was left with no choice but to extend my stay as a visitor. I applied for the application online however i was wondering if i have to send in my passport by mail. If not, then what exactly does the government issue incase of an acceptance.

My PR is also in process so i applied the visit extension on the basis of buying time until my pr card comes though?

Did i do that wrong?

Thank you!

Aalam

Jun 12, 2012
Hi Rania,

There are some limitations tothat. I am not enrolled in either Master or PHd program. Wont that disqualify me?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks

RaniaM

Jun 19, 2012
Why would you need any enrollement?? your applyig as a visitor, all you need is a proof of ur current situation and proof of sufficient funds to live in Canada for the period of time you staying in canada as visitor. enrollement is only needed for re establishment of status as student (stduent permit). you can check the listed of required documents for visitor status, it is not mencion any enrolment requirement.

Regarding the PR, did you pass your medical exam? if yes, when did they receive it? my case, they received it may 1st andmy file is in process... wondering when I should expect an answer and that if i shouldnt take any holidays and leave Canada for a couple of weeks.

Thx

Aalam said:
Hi Rania,

There are some limitations tothat. I am not enrolled in either Master or PHd program. Wont that disqualify me?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks