+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Visitors Record at the border? Help

james85

Mar 23, 2012
Hi, I have a question. I am currently living in Vancouver, awaiting Stage 2 approval of my spousal sponsorship. I was issued a 6 month visitor record as I am from England, which is due to expire in two weeks. I have just noticed on the cic website that to apply to extend my record I needed to have done so 30 days before it expires, which has now past. Is it possible to visit the border to renew my visitors record (or flagpole and be re-issued a visitors record)? Or can I still technically apply online for an extension, even though it's less than 30 days until my current visitors record expires? I'm a little worried to be honest.

James

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Hi James,

My understanding is that you can apply even within 30 days of expiry.

The instruction guide seems to contradict itself on this point.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

It says:

"If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay providing you apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status."

But then it goes on to say:

"The Case Processing Centre receives large volumes of applications in the temporary resident categories each year. It is recommended that you apply at least 30 days before the expiry of your current document."

The operational manual OP 11 ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf ) says, in section 24:

"A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they
have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a
decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary
resident during that period."

You may wish to read parts of that manual, particularly section 5.4 on "dual intent", to know what factors CIC will be looking at in deciding whether to grant an extension.

We haven't been through this process ourselves, but as you submit your application, there may be some confirmation of receipt page for the application. You'll want to print that so you have proof that you've applied.