+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending study permit or getting a new one? Please help

ceagull

Aug 27, 2015
Hello

Im doing a PhD in Canada, but now I went home on vacation for the holidays. My study permit expires in January, so obviously I was considering to extend it before it expires and then go back to Canada, but I just noticed that applying for a study permit from my country only takes 2 weeks, compared to the 80 days needed to extend the one that I already have. Could I just get a new study permit? Since Im not in Canada i dont have to restore my status as a student, right?

Thanks for your help

Esteban

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello

Im doing a PhD in Canada, but now I went home on vacation for the holidays. My study permit expires in January, so obviously I was considering to extend it before it expires and then go back to Canada, but I just noticed that applying for a study permit from my country only takes 2 weeks, compared to the 80 days needed to extend the one that I already have. Could I just get a new study permit? Since Im not in Canada i dont have to restore my status as a student, right?

Thanks for your help

Esteban
No guarantee that it would be processed in 2 weeks; it could easily take longer and you would not be able to return to your studies until approved. Returning to Canada and applying for an extension allows you to continue your studies on Implied Status.

ceagull

Aug 27, 2015
No guarantee that it would be processed in 2 weeks; it could easily take longer and you would not be able to return to your studies until approved. Returning to Canada and applying for an extension allows you to continue your studies on Implied Status.
Yes, but I have to apply for an extension here in my country, not in Canada, will I still have implied status if apply for an extension outside of Canada? Will I even be allowed to enter Canada in that case?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, but I have to apply for an extension here in my country, not in Canada, will I still have implied status if apply for an extension outside of Canada? Will I even be allowed to enter Canada in that case?
There is no implied status when applying outside of Canada, if your TRV is valid you might be allowed to enter Canada as a visitor, or apply for new study permit at POE but I think it depends on what they decide at point of entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html