+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay in Canada

Mishikall

Feb 19, 2010
I am a Canadian citizen, and I married a US citizen. I am bringing him to Canada to visit with me and my family while his petition for a spousal visa for me to go to the US gets approved. I am hoping it will not be that long, and I know crossing over he does not need a visa and gets a 6 month visit because he is from the US. I was wondering if it is likely he will have any problems being allowed to cross into Canada to visit me since we are already married. And, if my application takes that long, since we do not wish to be separated, how hard would it be for him to get an extension on his visit on the grounds that he is exploring the relationship and wants to spend more time with his wife. I am working and there is financial support for his visit here, and he has support from home as well. Will they have a problem extending it since he is married? We have no intention of immigrating him to Canada, I am applying from outside the country to go to the US, but I am worried that he will not be able to visit me while I wait, and have no desire to be separated for that long. Thanks.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Married or not, if he is a visitor then he must meet all the normal criteria as a visitor to Canada. Ties to his country, financial, etc

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

Visa extensions are a request (even if you are married), there are no guarantees.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

to get an extension on his visit on the grounds that he is exploring the relationship and wants to spend more time with his wife.
as you are married I doubt that "exploring the relationship" would be a good thing to say.

The best thing you can do is read the documentation and try :)

Mishikall

Feb 19, 2010
Baloo said:
as you are married I doubt that "exploring the relationship" would be a good thing to say.
We were very recently married and have only 3 visit records of us crossing the border to see each other, all in the last 6 months. I thought the relationship might be new enough for that to be ok to say, as it is the genuine truth. We don't want to be apart and want to visit and ge to know each other better until I can go down to the US. I don't know if I even need to worry since we are genuinely not trying to trick the system and stay or anything, just worried we'd have to be separated while my US spousal visa papers go through, which would be too long for comfort.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would guess that as you are applying in the USA then Canada will know, it would be part of the proof that your husband is a visitor intending to return to the USA.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Mishikall said:
We were very recently married and have only 3 visit records of us crossing the border to see each other, all in the last 6 months. I thought the relationship might be new enough for that to be ok to say, as it is the genuine truth. We don't want to be apart and want to visit and ge to know each other better until I can go down to the US. I don't know if I even need to worry since we are genuinely not trying to trick the system and stay or anything, just worried we'd have to be separated while my US spousal visa papers go through, which would be too long for comfort.
As long as he can show proof that he has job/residence in the US, he's okay. POE officers are a little wary of Americans coming over purportedly for a visit and staying longer than 6 months because they wanted to apply under spousal/common law partners. And as Baloo has said, the fact that he is sponsoring you for a spousal visa to the US shows it is not his intention to overstay in Canada.