+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Post Grad Work Permit (PGWP) - Determining Eligibility

swgley_09

Apr 8, 2016
I applied for my PGWP 7 months ago but only received it the last week in February. It will expire next month (within 32 days), due to the expiration date on my passport. I applied for my new passport and only received it this week. Therefore, I am in urgency of someone's help. When I tried to apply online, I am confused by the question below regarding my eligibility:

Does one of the following apply to you?

- I am subject of a removal order that is unforceable
- I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
-I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or
-I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with a visitor status in Canada; or
-I applied for permanent residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for permanent resident status (first stage approval)

When I put "Yes" I am given the option for a "Temporary Visa" and an "Open Work Permit" - (I currently have an open work permit).
When i put "No", I only receive the option for Temporary Visa".

Please let me know, what's the best choice.

AbdulMajid

Jan 28, 2016
sorry to hear that. i had same problem, i applied in feb. on this forum, someone told me that the PGWP extension is only possible via paper application.
in other words, gather all the documents which you used when you applied for your PGWP at the first place and send it to their office in vegreville. you will need:

Form: IMM5257E
IMM5556E
photocopy of passports
letter of explanation
fee receipt of $255
photos
transcripts and degree conferred letters (which you used earlier as well)

vegreville office address:

6212-55th Avenue – Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

even though it is extension but i sent it to unit 555 cuz : 1-people told me, 2-i think it is logical since PGWP is for new employer only
confirm the address on case processing centre page of cic website.

hope you get your permit for rest of the duration, asap

regards

swgley_09

Apr 8, 2016
Thank you!

A good friend of mines also recommended paper. So I guess that's the best way to go.

Best of luck to you too!

salmaniut

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2016
AOR Received.
05-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Inland
I applied via paper for PGWP extension and got it last week. I applied on Dec 28. So go for paper application.

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
I was in the same situation but was able to extend my PGWP via online application. I answered the questions like a new grad and attached a letter of explanation. I have since got an extension for another year. Both paper and online work so the choice is yours. Cheers!

ravriener12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Hello guys,

I am in the same situation with all of you. My PGWP is expiring next year in March because of my passport. I have applied for passport renewal and I will get it in July 2016, so I am looking to extend my PGWP after getting my new passport.

What are the requirements in order to extend my PGWP? I am worried about having to leave the country. :'(

ravriener12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
AbdulMajid said:
sorry to hear that. i had same problem, i applied in feb. on this forum, someone told me that the PGWP extension is only possible via paper application.
in other words, gather all the documents which you used when you applied for your PGWP at the first place and send it to their office in vegreville. you will need:

Form: IMM5257E
IMM5556E
photocopy of passports
letter of explanation
fee receipt of $255
photos
transcripts and degree conferred letters (which you used earlier as well)

vegreville office address:

6212-55th Avenue – Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6

even though it is extension but i sent it to unit 555 cuz : 1-people told me, 2-i think it is logical since PGWP is for new employer only
confirm the address on case processing centre page of cic website.

hope you get your permit for rest of the duration, asap

regards
Which passport did you submit on this one? is it the expired passport or the new one?
Thank you.

AbdulMajid

Jan 28, 2016
Both ! since you will only have to send photocopies. mention on the old passport copy "OLD PASSPORT FOR REFERENCE ONLY, PLEASE SEE CURRENT PASSPORT FOR THE SAKE OF THIS APPLICATION"

Regards

ravriener12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
AbdulMajid said:
Both ! since you will only have to send photocopies. mention on the old passport copy "OLD PASSPORT FOR REFERENCE ONLY, PLEASE SEE CURRENT PASSPORT FOR THE SAKE OF THIS APPLICATION"

Regards
Thank you. My tentative date for pick-up of my new passport is on July 6th. If I have further questions, I'll post here again. Thank you for the response! :D