+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending or applying for another IEC work permit

brendanch89

Feb 15, 2014
Hi,
I had a look through the other posts and couldn't see this covered anywhere. I am an Australian citizen currently about a year and half into my 2 year IEC working holiday permit. Since I've been here I have gained Red Seal Canadian Trade Certification by challenge test this along with my work experience here makes me eligible for Permanent Residency. I have received an Invitation to apply and I submitted an application about 2 months ago. My question is the following is there any way to extend my work permit while the application is being processed or if it is rejected and I have to resubmit can it be extended then. Or also is it possible to apply for another 2 year work permit while currently on a IEC working holiday?

Thanks,
Brendan.

gilljags85

Oct 13, 2016
As long as you are under 30, you can go back to Australia and apply for IEC again for 2 years (saying from experience; many of my friends have done it). But if your PR application is already in process you can apply for Bridging open work Permit while staying here in Canada, if you meet certain requirements. Search for Bridging Open work permit on CIC website.

Becikl007

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
It depends when your visa was approved. If it was in 2014 then you can apply for a final 2 year IEC. If in 2015 then you cannot apply again. And you cannot extend it. When it runs out you need to apply for a tourist status but cannot work.

brendanch89

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for the info guys. Ok I''l have a look at the open bridging permit, just a quick question on the bridging open work permit say I apply for one while waiting on a PR application and my PR denied how long do I have to continue working and to leave the country or do I have to have everything in place to leave immediately if it is denied. Dam!! I applied for my work permit in March 2015, so am I to understand people are only eligible for one 2 year work permit now under the IEC program?

Thanks,
Brendan.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
brendanch89 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Ok I''l have a look at the open bridging permit, just a quick question on the bridging open work permit say I apply for one while waiting on a PR application and my PR denied how long do I have to continue working and to leave the country or do I have to have everything in place to leave immediately if it is denied. Dam!! I applied for my work permit in March 2015, so am I to understand people are only eligible for one 2 year work permit now under the IEC program?

Thanks,
Brendan.
You can stay and work on BOWP until it expires. BOWP, once issued, doesn't depend on outcome of your PR application.

gilljags85

Oct 13, 2016
For Australians, IEC can be applied for as many times as you want for a period of 2 years as long as you are under 30. You have to apply it from Australia though after every 2 years

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
gilljags85 said:
For Australians, IEC can be applied for as many times as you want for a period of 2 years as long as you are under 30. You have to apply it from Australia though after every 2 years
Incorrect.

Australia—Working Holiday

Note: As an Australian citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category.

Exception: If you participated in IEC one or more times before 2015, you may be eligible for a final participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice.

gilljags85

Oct 13, 2016
My bad then, they must've changed the rules recently. When I came in Dec. 2014, we could apply as many times as we wanted as long as under 30 and I've done that.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
gilljags85 said:
My bad then, they must've changed the rules recently. When I came in Dec. 2014, we could apply as many times as we wanted as long as under 30 and I've done that.
Yes it changed in 2015 IIRC.

Emily89

Star Member
Dec 14, 2016
Can someone please explain this?

Exception: If you participated in IEC one or more times before 2015, you may be eligible for a final participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice.

I came to Canada on my first IEC in 2013 then my second in 2015... Does this mean I can apply again? ( I am under 30 still)

Thanks for your info :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Emily89 said:
Can someone please explain this?

I came to Canada on my first IEC in 2013 then my second in 2015... Does this mean I can apply again? ( I am under 30 still)

Thanks for your info :)
No - you don't qualify since you have a participation from 2015. All of your participations would need to pre-date 2015 to qualify.