+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending open work permit

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
I have a visitor visa and my wife has a Temporary Work Permit till Dec 2015. However that would definitely extend up to Dec 2016. I would come to Canada and apply for Open work permit. My only concern is that once I get the job, Can I change my open work permit status to closed one? what exactly I meant is that is there an option for me to be an independent of my wife's duration of stay in Canada. Is it possible to continue my employment with company even after 2016?

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
I heard Employer would help us in getting the LMO and extending our stay. So, in reality, how often it happens?

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
BGC in progress on 15 December
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
I heard Employer would help us in getting the LMO and extending our stay. So, in reality, how often it happens?
if you come as a dependent your work permit expires along with your wife's.
Getting an there is no more lmo. It's LMIA. It depends on the employer.
You csn get an LMIA if your employer is willing to do that.

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
So basically, it all depends on the Employer. So here are my few concerns -
1. Does only choosing right employer, and if employer is willing to extend my Open work Permit solves this problem?
2. Are there any Job consultancies that does this for me?
3. I would be there for 1 year and 4 months. So what are the chances of getting it extended assuming Employer is happy with me!?

And thanks for your previous reply.

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
So basically, it all depends on the Employer. So here are my few concerns -
1. Does only choosing right employer, and if employer is willing to extend my Open work Permit solves this problem?
2. Are there any Job consultancies that does this for me?
3. I would be there for 1 year and 4 months. So what are the chances of getting it extended assuming Employer is happy with me!?

And thanks for your previous reply.
1. You dont need employer to extend your open work permit. You need only your wife's permit to be extended for that.
2. There are lawyers ( immigration) providing that kind of services.
3. it depends on your profession and how quick you csn get a full time permanent line snd how good you are st your skills.
good luck

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
Yeah that info is good.
1. So, even if my wife work permit expires, are there chances that I would become independent of her Visa status once I get permanent job and good LMIA? anything else, you would like to inform me on this?
2. Then once I become independent of my wife's visa status, do my open work permit changes to closed work permit?

Sorry for multiple queries! :)

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
Yeah that info is good.
1. So, even if my wife work permit expires, are there chances that I would become independent of her Visa status once I get permanent job and good LMIA? anything else, you would like to inform me on this?
2. Then once I become independent of my wife's visa status, do my open work permit changes to closed work permit?

Sorry for multiple queries! :)
LMIA is same not variable means it is always good.
job csn be good or bad.
LMIA is usually closed not open. Means you cant work for other employers except the one who got LMIA for you.
of course you will be independent of your wife's status.

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
For applying an open work permit, Is it possible to apply from my home country? Or is it better for my wife working in Canada to apply for Open work permit for me? Does my presence is required in Canada or my wife can alone submit all documents?

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
Which is a better option? Applying open work permit from home country or apply in Canada?
I have a visitor visa to Canada. How long it takes in both the cases.

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
Which is a better option? Applying open work permit from home country or apply in Canada?
I have a visitor visa to Canada. How long it takes in both the cases.
its better your wife applying for spouce visa. You cant get any permit or visa without her status

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
Just in case if I don't get job soon enough! Is it possible for me to apply for Study Permit into a MBA college from inside Canada? Do Visa authorities have any issues with these kind of decisions?

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
Just in case if I don't get job soon enough! Is it possible for me to apply for Study Permit into a MBA college from inside Canada? Do Visa authorities have any issues with these kind of decisions?
you can. But I think you will have to inform cic about your plan of studying and they will notify you what you should do.
or consult an immigration lawyer about your case.

ManojGR

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for info sir :)
Am all set now. I will resigning in few days and once notice period is served, I will be moving to Canada for job search. Do software companies usually hire a candidate with an open work permit till Dec 2015( Will be extended till 2016, but still it needs to applied)?

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
ManojGR said:
Thanks for info sir :)
Am all set now. I will resigning in few days and once notice period is served, I will be moving to Canada for job search. Do software companies usually hire a candidate with an open work permit till Dec 2015( Will be extended till 2016, but still it needs to applied)?
it depends on the companies. You can apply online and see what happens.
when you look for IT jobs experience matters. Unlike professions related to medical sciences IT jobs are almost same everywhere.