+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending my Open Work Permit

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Hello,

I received my Invitation to Apply for express entry and already submitted my documents. I'm waiting for the decision to be made. (It's me and my wife in the application)

My wife has a study permit and just started her program a week ago. I have a post graduate open work permit which expires in April.

Can I extend my post grad open work permit (PGWP) based on her study permit ? I know that PGWP is not extendable, but I wonder if it's possible to get a work permit based on my wife's study permit.

I filled out the online questionnaire on CIC and it gave me the list of required documents. But there's no field to upload my wife's documents (the only doc is the marriage deed). Does it mean that I filled it wrong ?

thanks

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
persianguy said:
Hello,

I received my Invitation to Apply for express entry and already submitted my documents. I'm waiting for the decision to be made. (It's me and my wife in the application)

My wife has a study permit and just started her program a week ago. I have a post graduate open work permit which expires in April.

Can I extend my post grad open work permit (PGWP) based on her study permit ? I know that PGWP is not extendable, but I wonder if it's possible to get a work permit based on my wife's study permit.

I filled out the online questionnaire on CIC and it gave me the list of required documents. But there's no field to upload my wife's documents (the only doc is the marriage deed). Does it mean that I filled it wrong ?

thanks
Hi

PGWP can't be extended.

You can apply for a Work Permit, extending your stay in Canada.

You can apply for 2 kind of Open WP:

Spousal SOWP, see link bellow, you can apply online filling some forms, add a Explanation Letter including marriage certificate and other documents to support your application).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

If you fill out the application correctly and provides a good letter you have solid grounds to obtain SOWP.

Remember fees are WP $155 Plus OWP $100, don't make mistakes (some people did it and get refused)

Second option is to apply for Bridging OWP, providing a good Letter including your PR AOR. You don't need to have Eligibility passed when applying, just when VO opens your application. Unfortunately you can't be confident about eligibility passed when processing but is probably due the low OWP processing times.

Also you can apply for visitor status but isn't needed at this time.

My suggestion is:
1.- Appply ASAP for SOWP using paper application (payment can be online better, I think).
Processing time is around 100 days so you'll be some time as Implicit Status.

2.- Apply online for BOWP, a week before your current PGWP expires, processing times is like 133 days or so

3.- If SOWP approved withdraw BOWP, perhaps you can recover fees.

4.- If SOWP refused for some mistake, re-apply soon fixing it.

You don't need to apply for status restoration because you still under Implicit Status by BOWP application.

5.- If BOWP approved before SOWP, withdraw SOWP.

Using this way you pay double ($255 x2), with some chances to recover one fee AND you'll be covered for a OWP refusal.

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the reply.

Reading your answer, a few question came to my mind :

1.Why is it 100 + 155 ? I don't have any problem with paying this amount but what I have right now in my CIC profile shows only 100 dollars.

2.Why are you suggesting that I apply for the SOWP with a paper application ? Why not online ? Isn't if faster ?

If I get refused for SOWP after applying for BOWP and after my current work permit expires, am I still eligible to continue my work ?

I forgot to say, but I'm working for a large company as a Software Engineer and I have a very good salary (10k/month). Is it probable that I get rejected ?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
persianguy said:
1.Why is it 100 + 155 ? I don't have any problem with paying this amount but what I have right now in my CIC profile shows only 100 dollars.
It's what it's, perhaps you selected a wrong application type or final fees are show before apply, I don't know.

That's I payed when I applied online for BOWP and SOWP for my wife..

Actually some people get application refusal due to wrong payments.

2.Why are you suggesting that I apply for the SOWP with a paper application ? Why not online ? Isn't if faster ?
As I say paper is faster, currently.
Look for processing times at CIC site.

If I get refused for SOWP after applying for BOWP and after my current work permit expires, am I still eligible to continue my work ?
You can continue working when you're in Implicit Status.
As far one application still processing you're in Implicit Status

So if one application is rejected you still in Implicit Status until second application is finished.

I forgot to say, but I'm working for a large company as a Software Engineer and I have a very good salary (10k/month). Is it probable that I get rejected ?
Doesn't matter where are you working for these OWP applications, but be sure to explain clearly your status in Canada, how bad you like to stay here in your Explanation Letter.

You can be eligible for SOWP (check previous link), only reason to be rejected is to made a mistake when applying.

Most probably you'll be eligible for BOWP if your PR eligibility is passed when PR processed, but it's not 100% sure, so it's a chance to be rejected due this issue, of course any mistake can be a rejection reason.

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Ok , you mean if we have 2 separate applications (one BOWP and one SOWP) then we have to pay 155 + 100.

I thought you say under ONE application I have to pay 255$.

And is it counted as "Work permit" or "Work permit for new employer" or "Work permit for the same employer"

Well, I'm going from PGWP to SOWP, it's not about the employer. what then ?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
persianguy said:
Ok , you mean if we have 2 separate applications (one BOWP and one SOWP) then we have to pay 155 + 100.

I thought you say under ONE application I have to pay 255$.

And is it counted as "Work permit" or "Work permit for new employer" or "Work permit for the same employer"

Well, I'm going from PGWP to SOWP, it's not about the employer. what then ?
It's $255 for EACH OWP application
It's so easy to find the information using google:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp#visas_permits

I should check my application but I think is WP new employer (even it's no real) because it's the closer, later it's a option to choose Open WP.

There are some threads in this forum about OWP applications

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t336866.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/tips-for-a-successful-bowp-application-t147650.0.html

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for the info. I started another application and now I see 255$ for the application fee.

For PR, I applied for express entry. Do you know how long usually it takes to receive the AOR ?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
persianguy said:
Thanks for the info. I started another application and now I see 255$ for the application fee.

For PR, I applied for express entry. Do you know how long usually it takes to receive the AOR ?
EE AOR is almost inmediate (or less than 24 hours)

However to obtain OWP based out on your EE application you need to have Eligibility passed, In my case took like 3 months, I didn't see Eligibility passed until receive COPR.

Anyways you can apply for OWP using your AOR, if you apply close to expire date of your current WP (not too close, at least a week) I suppose VO won't work on your application until a couple months later so, perhaps, you'll have Eligibility passed at this point

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for providing the information.

1.I'm filling out the form, and the section "Duration of Expected Employment" has two fields to fill in : From / To. I started my job in 2015. But the 'From' field only accepts a date in future.

2.There's a section at the top of the form : "I am applying for one of the following : 1.A work permit with the same employer 2.An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer 3.Restoration of your status as a worker 4.Temporary Resident Permit "

None of these apply to me :(