+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending an open work permit

Feb 21, 2020
Hi

I have been here on an OWP through the IEC program. (United Kingdom)
My husband is also here and has an OWP linked my WP. (Spousal)

We have both found permanent jobs in our NOC codes. But the likely hood of us getting LMIA is very low.

We are in EE but are gathering more points though working here.

My IEC work permit expires in August and I want to obviously keep working toward having enough points to be drawn in EE.

I know I cant extend my IEC WP but can I apply for a new OWP?

Hoping to get drawn before August but if not need to be prepared with what to do!

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

I have been here on an OWP through the IEC program. (United Kingdom)
My husband is also here and has an OWP linked my WP. (Spousal)

We have both found permanent jobs in our NOC codes. But the likely hood of us getting LMIA is very low.

We are in EE but are gathering more points though working here.

My IEC work permit expires in August and I want to obviously keep working toward having enough points to be drawn in EE.

I know I cant extend my IEC WP but can I apply for a new OWP?

Hoping to get drawn before August but if not need to be prepared with what to do!

Thanks
No, you don't qualify for an OWP. If your husband has not participated in IEC and qualifies, he can look at that route. I don't know what the draw schedule is for IEC and the UK is always oversubscribed, so may not be possible before August.

Feb 21, 2020
Thank you for your feedback.

My husband doesn't qualify for IEC. He only has a WP because I have a WP. His is a spousal WP.
So can neither of us extend our WP at all?
The following link says "If you have an open work permit, you may be able to extend it as long as you’re still eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit." One of the eligibilities is the spousal WP my husband has. So does that mean he is eligible to extend even though his is linked to mine which will expire?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your feedback.

My husband doesn't qualify for IEC. He only has a WP because I have a WP. His is a spousal WP.
So can neither of us extend our WP at all?
The following link says "If you have an open work permit, you may be able to extend it as long as you’re still eligible to work in Canada with an open work permit." One of the eligibilities is the spousal WP my husband has. So does that mean he is eligible to extend even though his is linked to mine which will expire?

Thanks
No - this is not what this means.

For him to extend, you would need to switch to a closed work permit supported by an LMIA. OR, he would need switch over to a closed work permit supported by an LMIA so that you can apply for a spousal WP.

Alternatively, if you received ITA through EE before your work permit expires and also submit your complete application before the expiry date, you can then apply for a BOWP. How many points do you have under EE? (Make sure you aren't claiming 50 points for having a job offer.)

Feb 21, 2020
Right, I figured as much. It's just good to hear someone confirm things for you, even if it isn't the answers you are looking for!

Would it be a total waist of time applying for an extended WP, explaining with supporting documentation that we are employed full time, and waiting to be drawn? If our bosses and landlord wrote letters? Showed copies of bank accounts and tax receipts?

We currently have 457 points. My husband will have a year of work experience in May adding another 5 points I think as I am the primary applicant. In December I would have 2 years work experience.
So we could get drawn or it could stay in the high 460's, who knows!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Right, I figured as much. It's just good to hear someone confirm things for you, even if it isn't the answers you are looking for!

Would it be a total waist of time applying for an extended WP, explaining with supporting documentation that we are employed full time, and waiting to be drawn? If our bosses and landlord wrote letters? Showed copies of bank accounts and tax receipts?

We currently have 457 points. My husband will have a year of work experience in May adding another 5 points I think as I am the primary applicant. In December I would have 2 years work experience.
So we could get drawn or it could stay in the high 460's, who knows!
If you apply for a work permit extension without an approved LMIA then you'll be applying without qualifying which will get you a refusal. You'll then end up in Canada without status. You can't apply for EE if you're in n Canada without status. Also, any work experience gained after your original work permits expired will be classified as unauthorized and you won't be able to count it as work experience towards PR. So bad plan. Letter, bank statements and payslips aren't going to get an extension approved. You need an LMIA.

If you want to remain in Canada but don't qualify for a work permit extension then apply to change your status to visitor. Of course you will need to stop working as soon as your work permits expired.

Feb 21, 2020
Ok so with another week I have done some more research and here’s what I’ve found:

We will possibly look into PNIP- it’s obtainable without a LMIA since we have been working here in Canada. If the employer meets the criteria.

Also, we’ve realized that with a higher ielts score we stand to get another 50 points because we will tick the boxes for Canadian work experience, foreign work experience, a degree, and then a clb7.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok so with another week I have done some more research and here’s what I’ve found:

We will possibly look into PNIP- it’s obtainable without a LMIA since we have been working here in Canada. If the employer meets the criteria.

Also, we’ve realized that with a higher ielts score we stand to get another 50 points because we will tick the boxes for Canadian work experience, foreign work experience, a degree, and then a clb7.
Yes - this is feasible. Once you have a nomination, you should be able to extend your work permits. However you are pretty short on time and it can take many months for the nomination to be approved.

For Express Entry, you need a score of 470+ to receive ITA (i.e. be selected out of the pool for PR). You need to receive ITA and have submitted your complete application to qualify for a bridging open work permit. Make sure that you do not claim the 50 points for having a job offer (to claim job offer points, you would need an approved LMIA).