+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending a SX-1 Visa while in Canada?

deborahwalsh

Jul 23, 2012
Can anyone help us with information?
My friend arrived in Canada on a SX-1 visa to study English (this is for 6 months)
She applied for an extension and it was just refused because this type of application must be made from outside of Canada?

After a bit of research, we discovered first the application was sent to the wrong office in Canada (not sure how much difference this would make)
That you cannot extend or change an SX-1 visa while in Canada? (Does anyone know if this is true?)
Can we apply for a different type of visa S-1 Visa - even a work visa while in Canada?

Does anyone have any good immigration consultants in Canada to refer?

Thanks!

Inam89

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Yes
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Yes
deborahwalsh said:
Can anyone help us with information?
My friend arrived in Canada on a SX-1 visa to study English (this is for 6 months)
She applied for an extension and it was just refused because this type of application must be made from outside of Canada?

After a bit of research, we discovered first the application was sent to the wrong office in Canada (not sure how much difference this would make)
That you cannot extend or change an SX-1 visa while in Canada? (Does anyone know if this is true?)
Can we apply for a different type of visa S-1 Visa - even a work visa while in Canada?

Does anyone have any good immigration consultants in Canada to refer?

Thanks!
She can not extend SX-1 visa because SX-1 is visa for student exempt from the requirement to obtain a study permit. If she already holds a study permit only then she can apply for extension of Study permit from within Canada.

Quote: "If your program of study is six months or less but you intend to continue your studies in another program you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. This will allow you to apply to extend your stay as a student from within Canada. Otherwise, if you do not hold a study permit you will have to apply for one outside Canada."

Amicus001

Jun 27, 2019
Kenya
Category........
She can not extend SX-1 visa because SX-1 is visa for student exempt from the requirement to obtain a study permit. If she already holds a study permit only then she can apply for extension of Study permit from within Canada.

Quote: "If your program of study is six months or less but you intend to continue your studies in another program you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. This will allow you to apply to extend your stay as a student from within Canada. Otherwise, if you do not hold a study permit you will have to apply for one outside Canada."
I also have the sx-1 visa still valid and planning to travel to Canada next year for a short license exams with a mind of extending my stay/study in canada beyond 6 months. How best can I achieve that. Do I need to apply for a student visa?