+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended visit of US Spouse in Canada

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Hi All,
I am looking for some help and If you can share your experiences, that'd be great!
I got married to a US citizen earlier this year.
She has been with me here in Canada for the past 8-10 months. We did take some trips though in the middle ( International travel from Canada to Dubai for 2 weeks in July) and trips to USA her home state (2-3 times by road and spent 2-3 days) but came back to Canada.
I applied for her Canadian PR in May but we haven't heard back yet.
In Sept, we found out she is Pregnant and since her home state is Arizona, we had to get her an OBGYN in nearby distance clinic in NY state since it is easier to commute. Please note she doesn't have health card in Canada.
Now we have to visit her Dr every 3-4 weeks but recently we are being asked why is she spending so much time in Canada. I am afraid that she might get entry denied specially that we have to cross border every 3-4 weeks for the next 6-7 months.
PS: she has no family in USA and she is dependent on me for emotional support
She works a remote US job from Canada
She owns her house in Arizona( her own property)

Question: how can we ensure she has smooth entries to Canada everytime we cross land border and that she can legally live in Canada while we wait for her PR approval?
Appreciate all the responses!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi All,
I am looking for some help and If you can share your experiences, that'd be great!
I got married to a US citizen earlier this year.
She has been with me here in Canada for the past 8-10 months. We did take some trips though in the middle ( International travel from Canada to Dubai for 2 weeks in July) and trips to USA her home state (2-3 times by road and spent 2-3 days) but came back to Canada.
I applied for her Canadian PR in May but we haven't heard back yet.
In Sept, we found out she is Pregnant and since her home state is Arizona, we had to get her an OBGYN in nearby distance clinic in NY state since it is easier to commute. Please note she doesn't have health card in Canada.
Now we have to visit her Dr every 3-4 weeks but recently we are being asked why is she spending so much time in Canada. I am afraid that she might get entry denied specially that we have to cross border every 3-4 weeks for the next 6-7 months.
PS: she has no family in USA and she is dependent on me for emotional support
She works a remote US job from Canada
She owns her house in Arizona( her own property)

Question: how can we ensure she has smooth entries to Canada everytime we cross land border and that she can legally live in Canada while we wait for her PR approval?
Appreciate all the responses!
You can't. It is up to the CBSA agent to decide if she can enter Canada when crossing each time. Be honest, tell them you have applied for PR, she is staying with you until approval and crossing to see the Doctor since she is pregnant.

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
You can't. It is up to the CBSA agent to decide if she can enter Canada when crossing each time. Be honest, tell them you have applied for PR, she is staying with you until approval and crossing to see the Doctor since she is pregnant.
Thanks for replying!
I am not sure what their reaction might be once I tell them that?
Also, since we couldnt do the xray due to pregnancy, her PR is stalled. Not sure if that can be processed without an xray?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for replying!
Also, since we couldnt do the xray due to pregnancy, her PR is stalled. Not sure if that can be processed without an xray?
I don't think it will be a problem, what have you been telling them up until now?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying!
Impossible to predict but the next question may be about whether she has insurance that covers pregnancy in Canada or do you have the funds to pay for any care she may need if you can’t make it to New York. You can actually do the x-ray. Normally you are recommmeded to avoid non-medically necessary x-rays but pregnant women still fly which exposes them to more radiation. Doing the x-ray is a personal choice but I would discuss the pros and cons of doing the x-ray with your OB. If you do the x-ray your application will continue to be processed which would be very helpful in your situation. How pregnant is your partner?