+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended family members exemption?

Beef000

Jul 15, 2020
My wife (main applicant) and I are applying for EE FSW outland, and my brother is a Canadian citizen. Assume we get COPR in the coming months, would the extended family members travel exemption apply to us?

From below link, the relationship has to be a sibling of a citizen (my brother and I), but with my wife being the main applicant, could I apply for the extended family exemption and bring her along? Thanks

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Your wife is not included in the exemption as only family members are included not “in-laws”. So you can go to Canada as a visitor without your wife. However, you couldn’t land and activate your COPR without her.

Beef000

Jul 15, 2020
Your wife is not included in the exemption as only family members are included not “in-laws”. So you can go to Canada as a visitor without your wife. However, you couldn’t land and activate your COPR without her.
Thanks for responding. Just so I understand, so if the scenario is reversed and I’m the main applicant, then I can apply for extended family exemption to land with COPR, and bringing my wife along?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for responding. Just so I understand, so if the scenario is reversed and I’m the main applicant, then I can apply for extended family exemption to land with COPR, and bringing my wife along?
No your wife can’t travel at all as she doesn’t meet the criteria of an extended family member. You can travel to Canada if you have a visitor visa and approved authorization. Having COPR with you as a main applicant would allow you to land (with travel authorization) but doesn’t allow your wife.

Beef000

Jul 15, 2020
No your wife can’t travel at all as she doesn’t meet the criteria of an extended family member. You can travel to Canada if you have a visitor visa and approved authorization. Having COPR with you as a main applicant would allow you to land (with travel authorization) but doesn’t allow your wife.
Thanks. So that means there is no way we can land and activate the COPR given our situation, at least until the travel restrictions are lifted

EpicFamily

Oct 4, 2019
Hello,

Would appreciate if someone could give us an insight in the following scenario since it is somewhat related to the main thread.

We as a family have applied to CA,immigration and have already received our CoPR. I would be the main applicant with my wife and child as the dependent family members. My wife has a sister who is a Canadian citizen.

Does the travel restriction still apply for our family? Technically, as per the exemption, my wife is a sibling and if we land in CA she becomes a permanent resident (pending processing). Following which, being her spouse along with our child we could get the permanent residency as well (pending processing).

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated...

Thank you,

Brian

tanyajames

Nov 29, 2019
Hello,

Would appreciate if someone could give us an insight in the following scenario since it is somewhat related to the main thread.

We as a family have applied to CA,immigration and have already received our CoPR. I would be the main applicant with my wife and child as the dependent family members. My wife has a sister who is a Canadian citizen.

Does the travel restriction still apply for our family? Technically, as per the exemption, my wife is a sibling and if we land in CA she becomes a permanent resident (pending processing). Following which, being her spouse along with our child we could get the permanent residency as well (pending processing).

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated...

Thank you,

Brian
Hi

We are in the similar situation like your however our application is still under process. Would like to know if you have applied for travel exemption and received any update

EpicFamily

Oct 4, 2019
Still waiting. We have all the docs. Yet we cannot travel unless we have a confirmation from the immigration office. Just to point out that we have received an email stating that they know our situation and we still need to wait. We did not initiate the immediate family pathway since I came across this information stating, unless the applicant has an immediate family the PR will not be granted. The immediate family situation is only applicable on an empathy basis. Also note that the PR will not be granted to the dependent family first even if they have an immediate family in Canada. And while traveling, the entire family must travel together since there are no guarantees the PR will be provided if the applicant comes first and the dependent comes later. Hope this helps. If anyone has an update please do let us know.
thanks in advance....

Hchadda

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
Kuwait
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-02-2020
I'm in a similar situation, i'm the primary and only applicant who has a PR brother and sister in Canada.

Unfortunately, siblings do not count as immediate family members, as defined by cic, for travel exemption.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs

Who is an immediate family member
An immediate family member is defined as a

Patience my friends and if you can, get your vaccinations done asap!!

Newbie97

May 27, 2019
I have an AL as an extended family but I'm not the main applicant.
Can I land in Canada according to this exemption letter before the main applicant?