+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extend work permit within Canada and pregnant

Hummel40

Jan 5, 2022
I am in the porcess of extending my workpermit. My employer offered me to stay for 2 more years. He has applied for a new LMIA, but we are still waiting for the approval. in the meanwhile I try to get everything else necessary ready. Now I have seen, that the processing time for approval of a workpermit from within Canada is at 103 days!!!! when I came here in 2022 I got it at the airport in no time.
My question now is: is there a faster way to get a new work permit? I know I can still work as long they don't deny the permit but I need a valid healtcard in the time as well because I am pregnant.

I am thankful for every help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the porcess of extending my workpermit. My employer offered me to stay for 2 more years. He has applied for a new LMIA, but we are still waiting for the approval. in the meanwhile I try to get everything else necessary ready. Now I have seen, that the processing time for approval of a workpermit from within Canada is at 103 days!!!! when I came here in 2022 I got it at the airport in no time.
My question now is: is there a faster way to get a new work permit? I know I can still work as long they don't deny the permit but I need a valid healtcard in the time as well because I am pregnant.

How have you applied for an extension without a valid LMIA?

Reactions: CanGoldDigger

Hummel40

Jan 5, 2022
I haven't applied for a new work permit yet, because we are still waiting for the new LMIA's approval. When I say I am in the process of extending my work permit step one is to get a new LMIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I haven't applied for a new work permit yet, because we are still waiting for the new LMIA's approval. When I say I am in the process of extending my work permit step one is to get a new LMIA
How long until your WP expires and when did your employer apply for the LMIA? What NOC?

Hummel40

Jan 5, 2022
WP expires 2024-08-02
NOC 80020
applied for LMIA 2024-06-28

My employer offered me long ago to extend my employment, I just checked, that I had to extend my wp 4 weeks before expiry, unfortunately, we did not know, that a new LMIA would be necessary as well. Thats way all is a bit late now.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022

Did you look into flagpoling? I am not 100% sure but it may be an option. And before people say "its no lnger possible", it is. If you have a US visa, its even easier, just go for a day trip to usa. If you do not have, consult a RCIC or a lawyer if you should try it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you look into flagpoling? I am not 100% sure but it may be an option. And before people say "its no lnger possible", it is. If you have a US visa, its even easier, just go for a day trip to usa. If you do not have, consult a RCIC or a lawyer if you should try it.
It's no longer possible to get a PGWP however OP isn't looking to get a PGWP.

An approved LMIA is necessary to flagpole and I think the OP is still waiting for that. So I don't think flagpoling is possible just yet. However may be an option once it's approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your ability to continue to receive OHIP will depend if/when you get LMIA. Looks like you may be employed at your parents’ farm and may be trained as an engineer. Your LMIA may face scrutiny because of your family relationship and background. Though to say because at the same time Canada needs genuine farm workers.

Reactions: Hummel40

Hummel40

Jan 5, 2022
what exactly do you mean with flagpoling? is it like boarder hopping? I had a guess, that it could be an option to travel to US for a couple of days and come back and get a new work permit at the boarder.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
what exactly do you mean with flagpoling? is it like boarder hopping? I had a guess, that it could be an option to travel to US for a couple of days and come back and get a new work permit at the boarder.
Flag Polling means applying your immigration document at the border. You go there with all your documents and apply for a Work Permit. Its pretty common. I have done it in the past though my documentation was prep'ed up by the lawyers of my employer. Look if that can be done in your case. I have a funny feeling that it can be, once you get your LMIA that is. Ask a lawyer or RCIC. My documentation was pretty extensive and professional.

BTW, which passport do you have? If it is a German passport then your path will be even easier. Because you can enter US and Canada without a visa.

Hummel40

Jan 5, 2022
Hi folks, just wanted to share the end (for now) of the story:

The LMIA was approved and I applied for a new work permit the same day. Next day I got a letter from the Government of Canada saying that the received my application and that I can work for 180day under the same conditions as shown in my old wp. That letter was enough for Service Ontario to give me a new health card that's valid til January 2025.