+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry skilled worker Am I eligible????

sarah0720

Oct 13, 2014
Hello. Im about to apply for PR but I am not sure if I am actually eligible.
I have some experiences of teaching piano for more than 2 years as part time back in my country and according to the list, music teacher is classified as a skilled worker (5133 type A) . And the time I worked is equivalent to one year as full time .

but the problem here is that I was a piano teacher at home as my parents also hold music school at home. How can I possibly prove my work experience as a piano teacher? Would it be enough if I make my mom who's my employee write down that I worked with her signature?

I really need help with this. Did anybody gain a pr card under the similar circumstances ?? I already graduated my college here in Canada and took the english exam so everything should be fine other than this part .

Thanks a lot.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarah0720 said:
Hello. Im about to apply for PR but I am not sure if I am actually eligible.
I have some experiences of teaching piano for more than 2 years as part time back in my country and according to the list, music teacher is classified as a skilled worker (5133 type A) . And the time I worked is equivalent to one year as full time .

but the problem here is that I was a piano teacher at home as my parents also hold music school at home. How can I possibly prove my work experience as a piano teacher? Would it be enough if I make my mom who's my employee write down that I worked with her signature?

I really need help with this. Did anybody gain a pr card under the similar circumstances ?? I already graduated my college here in Canada and took the english exam so everything should be fine other than this part .

Thanks a lot.
Was it paid employment? And you have pay stubs, tax returns to support your claim of work experience?

sarah0720

Oct 13, 2014
Yes I was paid about 20dollars per hour although it was made by cash and theres no any written documents.

But i think I still have some envelopes for monthly tuition fee from the students.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarah0720 said:
Yes I was paid about 20dollars per hour although it was made by cash and theres no any written documents.

But i think I still have some envelopes for monthly tuition fee from the students.
I think you have a pretty weak case to say the least, but before we debate this any further, have you actually checked all FSW eligibility criteria?

Most notably, do you score at least 67 points in the FSW points system?

sarah0720

Oct 13, 2014
Yes i have done it and scored over 80 ( including selecting the past work experience of 2 yrs back home ) should i at least give it a try?..

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarah0720 said:
Yes i have done it and scored over 80 ( including selecting the past work experience of 2 yrs back home ) should i at least give it a try?..
Thar sounds very high, given that you only have one year of work experience. Provide breakdown of points here, with your reasoning for awarding yourself these points.

sarah0720

Oct 13, 2014
sure i get 24 for the english exam no point for the second language

for the education i have 2 yr diploma so 19

for the experience section, i get 9 as i worked less than two yrs in full time

im20 so i get 12 for the age

and arranged employment , im a fulltime supervisor at a restaurant currently and it should be a B type (6311) so i get 10

for the last one, i get 5 for completing two yr study and as i have the arranged employment i get 5 for that too so 10 in total

itd be 84 all together ? am not sure if i did it right though.... any thoughts??

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to reduce the points (20) for 'Arranged Employment' as this is only considered to be employment for those who have already obtained a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is something that the Employer has to pay for. I could be wrong but just to check; did the restaurant you work at obtain this for you? If no, then no points can be claimed for 'Arranged Employment'.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sarah0720 said:
sure i get 24 for the english exam no point for the second language

for the education i have 2 yr diploma so 19

for the experience section, i get 9 as i worked less than two yrs in full time

im20 so i get 12 for the age

and arranged employment , im a fulltime supervisor at a restaurant currently and it should be a B type (6311) so i get 10

for the last one, i get 5 for completing two yr study and as i have the arranged employment i get 5 for that too so 10 in total

itd be 84 all together ? am not sure if i did it right though.... any thoughts??
Unless you have an LMIA approved job offer, you can't claim the points for arranged employment.

Doesn't matter for FSW eligibility though, because you would have 69 points even without it.

So back to your original question:

While your experience may qualify in theory, I think you will have a very difficult time proving it.

First and foremost, the fact that it was a cash job does not help you. It makes it a lot more difficult to prove that the job was actually paid, and the amount of hours you worked. Did you at least pay taxes on this?

Secondly, the only people who can vouch for you doing this job and its duties are your parents - while this may work in a proper company setting with employment records and all, in a home-based music school it is less convincing. You could get former students to write you a statutory declaration, but don't expect it to carry much weight.

Lastly, while related education is not necessarily required to prove you did the work in a given NOC, in your case it may help. Do you have a formal music education?

In summary, you could give this a try if you wanted to, but expect a lot of scrutiny.

Your other option is to wait until you have one year of Canadian experience and apply under CEC. That would be a sure thing as far as eligibility goes...

sarah0720

Oct 13, 2014
ummm I understand.. wish i had worked at a music company or somewhere more formal.... it wouldve made things much easier.
I feel like I should just wait and work for a year for CEC considering all the works ahead to prove my eligibility :((

I rly appreciate your help!!!!! thanks everyone!!! ;)

arrayofhope

Jan 14, 2017
CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2016
AOR Received.
18/05/2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-15-2017
sarah0720 said:
ummm I understand.. wish i had worked at a music company or somewhere more formal.... it wouldve made things much easier.
I feel like I should just wait and work for a year for CEC considering all the works ahead to prove my eligibility :((

I rly appreciate your help!!!!! thanks everyone!!! ;)
Hello Sarah,

I taught guitar privately at home and also at a few music schools and i'm quite concerned if I can claim points for this experience.

Have you applied for EE and did CIC accept your application. Any info you may have for me would be very helpful, as I expect to receive an ITA in the next 3 weeks or so.

Looking forward to hearing from you.