+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry profile under FSW

grk

Oct 22, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have 4 years of experience back home under NOC code 2171, currently working in Canada for about 1 year(incorporated). I am not sure whether my 1 year (incorporated) experience will considered full-time permanent. Through this forum I came to know that, CIC will determine which program I am eligible for, any suggestion on how to create EE profile so my application will be eligible under FSW?

Thanks in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
For Canadian work experience to be counted, it cannot be self-employment ("incorporated" usually means self-employed). There are exceptions to this...

Since you can only count the foreign work experience, you would only qualify under the FSW program. I guess I'm not really sure what the concern or question is...

grk

Oct 22, 2014
Hi Jes_ON,

Thanks for your reply. As my experience in Canada is self-employed, shouldn't I mention this experience while creating profile? if not, I am afraid whether i will get enough points to get ITA.

Thanks

grk

Oct 22, 2014
jes_ON said:
For Canadian work experience to be counted, it cannot be self-employment ("incorporated" usually means self-employed). There are exceptions to this...

Since you can only count the foreign work experience, you would only qualify under the FSW program. I guess I'm not really sure what the concern or question is...
Could you please let me know what would be exceptions for "incorporated"? I have paid taxes and have T4

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
grk said:
Hi Guys,

I have 4 years of experience back home under NOC code 2171, currently working in Canada for about 1 year(incorporated). I am not sure whether my 1 year (incorporated) experience will considered full-time permanent. Through this forum I came to know that, CIC will determine which program I am eligible for, any suggestion on how to create EE profile so my application will be eligible under FSW?

Thanks in advance!
If you want to know more about Express Entry and steps involved, you can refer to this link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/migration-to-canada-through-express-entry-overview-and-quick-links-t397340.0.html

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
grk said:
Hi Jes_ON,

Thanks for your reply. As my experience in Canada is self-employed, shouldn't I mention this experience while creating profile? if not, I am afraid whether i will get enough points to get ITA.
Whether you mention it or not, you won't get any points for self-employment in Canada.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
grk said:
Could you please let me know what would be exceptions for "incorporated"? I have paid taxes and have T4
You have a T4 (employed), not a T4A (self-employed)?

The issue is whether you are in a business relationship with a client (self-employed), or in an employer-employee relationship (which counts for CEC purposes).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-e.html

Even if you are incorporated, it may be possible to demonstrate that you are in a de facto employer-employee relationship. You can see the criteria listed by the CRA. As part of your employment documents, you would have to include a Letter of Explanation about why your experience should be considered as employment (rather than self-employment), and your reference letter from your "employer" should verify this. (Even better if you can request a ruling from the CRA and include that with your application...)

grk

Oct 22, 2014
Yes, I have T4 which is generated by another director of the incorporation. So, should I check "self Employed" option while creating express entry profile? or uncheck "self Employed" option and provide more detail to CIC which explains why I am employee and not self-employee? Thanks in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
grk said:
Yes, I have T4 which is generated by another director of the incorporation. So, should I check "self Employed" option while creating express entry profile? or uncheck "self Employed" option and provide more detail to CIC which explains why I am employee and not self-employee? Thanks in advance!
Oh - I assumed you were a sole proprietor - so you have a partner or partners... ? If you're getting a T4, your employer is the company that issues the T4 (the other company is your client) - and if you are a co-owner, I think there's no chance of getting around the self-employed issue. You'll have to indicate self-employed and qualify without that experience...

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
jes_ON said:

Hi, i'm here on an open work permit (no need for LMIA). After working for 6 months following my MBA, I started my own business and Incorporated my business 6 months ago. So does this count as self-employed as well? Do i need to check "self-employed" check box while filling my EE work history form? Or does this fall under the exceptions rule you mentioned? Feels strange to have no difference between self employed and Incorporated, hence my query.
Thanks!!

Nilay Solanki

Oct 29, 2019
I have a similar question , I worked as a physiotherapist assistant in canada at a long term care , for 30 hrs per week , full time. But I wasn’t on payroll, instead of t4 , I get t4a and did my taxes. I have letter of experience from the company/ registered physio . Can that experience be counted.??

someone mentioned here that employer -employee thing works with letter of explanation. Is there any1 whose experience got counted with a similar situation ?? My work is 100% legit. And I’ve actually worked .

Last edited: