+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry points for Canadian job offer

Jevyyy

Jan 5, 2021
You need to work with your current employer for a full year before you'll qualify for the 50 points. So the answer to your question is no regarding your current job.

Same for your previous employers (i.e. you can't claim the 50 points). You are no longer working for them so not possible to claim job offer points for these roles.

You need to wait 9 more months before it will be possible to claim the 50 points since you are on an LMIA exempt closed work permit.
Thank you so much!

Jevyyy

Jan 5, 2021
You need to work with your current employer for a full year before you'll qualify for the 50 points. So the answer to your question is no regarding your current job.

Same for your previous employers (i.e. you can't claim the 50 points). You are no longer working for them so not possible to claim job offer points for these roles.

You need to wait 9 more months before it will be possible to claim the 50 points since you are on an LMIA exempt closed work permit.
Hey scylla,

Thank you again for your answer! I have two more quick questions, I would appreciate it if you can answer these.
I just realized that I'm eligible for an open work permit. If I get it would I need to spend 9 months with the company to claim the job offer points? If not, then would I need to make a new contract with the company which will be based on a new open work permit?

Thank you,
Jev

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey scylla,

Thank you again for your answer! I have two more quick questions, I would appreciate it if you can answer these.
I just realized that I'm eligible for an open work permit. If I get it would I need to spend 9 months with the company to claim the job offer points? If not, then would I need to make a new contract with the company which will be based on a new open work permit?

Thank you,
Jev
If you get an open work permit then you are only eligible for the 50 points if your employer gets an approved LMIA.

Jevyyy

Jan 5, 2021
If you get an open work permit then you are only eligible for the 50 points if your employer gets an approved LMIA.
Hmm, I thought since open work permits are not restricted to an occupation or employer, they do not require an LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hmm, I thought since open work permits are not restricted to an occupation or employer, they do not require an LMIA?
You're mixing up two different rules.

They do not require an LMIA if you just want to work on the open work permit.

However if you want to claim 50 points under Express Entry for having a job offer, then you need an approved LMIA from your employer.

Reactions: Jevyyy

Jevyyy

Jan 5, 2021
You're mixing up two different rules.

They do not require an LMIA if you just want to work on the open work permit.

However if you want to claim 50 points under Express Entry for having a job offer, then you need an approved LMIA from your employer.
Oh, I see now. Thank you!