+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry -Open work permit to closed work permit

JencyPreethi

Dec 21, 2023
Hi All,
I am working in open work permit for the last 1 year in Canada now I have asked the same employer to initiate a closed work permit for me. Now since I have already completed 1 year for the same employer can I apply for the 50 points for job offer immediately after getting my closed work permit or do I need to wait for 1 more year after getting the permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,
I am working in open work permit for the last 1 year in Canada now I have asked the same employer to initiate a closed work permit for me. Now since I have already completed 1 year for the same employer can I apply for the 50 points for job offer immediately after getting my closed work permit or do I need to wait for 1 more year after getting the permit?
Do you have an approved LMIA? Your employer must file for the LMIA proving that no Canadian or PR can do the job. You cannot get 50 points without a LMIA.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My job is LMIA exempt so they are initiating only a closed work permit
How are you LMIA exempt. So getting a closed work permit will not give you 50 points. Once you work for a year on your LMIA exempt closed work permit, you can count the points. If it wasn’t a LMIA exempt permit, you could count points immediately.

JencyPreethi

Dec 21, 2023
How are you LMIA exempt. So getting a closed work permit will not give you 50 points. Once you work for a year on your LMIA exempt closed work permit, you can count the points. If it wasn’t a LMIA exempt permit, you could count points immediately.
You mean we cant apply job offer points even if we work for the employer in Canada for more than a year, We still have to work for 1 more year in LMIA exempt closed work permit? As the initial 1 year was in open work permit it doesnt count ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You mean we cant apply job offer points even if we work for the employer in Canada for more than a year, We still have to work for 1 more year in LMIA exempt closed work permit? As the initial 1 year was in open work permit it doesnt count ?
Correct. You need to work on the LMIA exempt permit for one year. After one year, your employer needs to write an updated job offer letter saying that you will be employed one year past PR. How is your job eligible for LMIA exemption inside Canada?

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

JencyPreethi

Dec 21, 2023
Thanks a lot for clarifying. I am not sure how its LMIA exempt but when I checked with our company HR they said it will be LMIA exempt and I will not have LMIA number.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks a lot for clarifying. I am not sure how its LMIA exempt but when I checked with our company HR they said it will be LMIA exempt and I will not have LMIA number.
What? You still get an offer of employment number when you employer applies and pays the fee.. What is your job and citizenship that gives you LMIA exemption?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
So what permit are you on? SOWP? I don’t understand how you are eligible for a LMIA exempt permit.
I guess my friend is applying for the same. it is i think young professional (c-21) work permit under reciprocal from India using Recognized Organizations.