+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry but then dont find suitable employment

mugatu300

Mar 19, 2023
Hello all, I live in Niagara Falls, NY and my wife lives in Niagara Falls, Canada. We recently married. I am in the scientific field. I do not have a job offer in Canada but there are some potential employers that look promising. If I apply for Express Entry but do not find a job thats superior to the job I have currently in the states, is my PR revoked? Do I have to find a Canadian job within a certain amount of time or can I keep my current job until I find something superior? What If I dont find a job thats superior for awhile?

I want to make sure I do everything by the letter of the law. I only just recently discovered the Express Entry and it looks like the processing time is a lot shorter than a typical spousal sponsorship. But any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I pursue express entry or just go with a typical spousal sponsorship since I'm not sure how quickly I will find suitable employment.

Thanks all in advance!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello all, I live in Niagara Falls, NY and my wife lives in Niagara Falls, Canada. We recently married. I am in the scientific field. I do not have a job offer in Canada but there are some potential employers that look promising. If I apply for Express Entry but do not find a job thats superior to the job I have currently in the states, is my PR revoked? Do I have to find a Canadian job within a certain amount of time or can I keep my current job until I find something superior? What If I dont find a job thats superior for awhile?

I want to make sure I do everything by the letter of the law. I only just recently discovered the Express Entry and it looks like the processing time is a lot shorter than a typical spousal sponsorship. But any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I pursue express entry or just go with a typical spousal sponsorship since I'm not sure how quickly I will find suitable employment.

Thanks all in advance!
Go through express entry, you don't need a job offer if you meet the CRS cut off. Unless you say you have a job offer or offer of employment, only then an employer comes into the picture here.

You should read through Express entry and you'll see there are very few cases in which not having a job can cause any issues (offer of employment or PNP points claimed that required an employer).

Read this to understand Express entry: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Use this to calculate your prospective CRS score: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

See where you land. Ask questions when you get stuck.

mugatu300

Mar 19, 2023
Go through express entry, you don't need a job offer if you meet the CRS cut off. Unless you say you have a job offer or offer of employment, only then an employer comes into the picture here.

You should read through Express entry and you'll see there are very few cases in which not having a job can cause any issues (offer of employment or PNP points claimed that required an employer).

Read this to understand Express entry: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html

Use this to calculate your prospective CRS score: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

See where you land. Ask questions when you get stuck.
So I calculated CRS prospective and it came back 448. Not sure thats good enough for latest lottery but not sure I can do much else to improve. Highest level English scores, masters degree, 10 years foreign work experience, spouse lives as PR in canada, no family there.

Also, if I pursue this route are you sure I am able to keep my job in states and travel there each weekday for work prior to finding Canadian employment? I want to make sure they dont think im misrepresenting my intentions. I mean, what happens if I just dont find anything suitable and keep my American job for 5 years? Is that a big no-no? Obviously I would love to find a suitable Canadian job but it also has to financially make sense for us too...

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
So I calculated CRS prospective and it came back 448. Not sure thats good enough for latest lottery but not sure I can do much else to improve. Highest level English scores, masters degree, 10 years foreign work experience, spouse lives as PR in canada, no family there.

Also, if I pursue this route are you sure I am able to keep my job in states and travel there each weekday for work prior to finding Canadian employment? I want to make sure they dont think im misrepresenting my intentions. I mean, what happens if I just dont find anything suitable and keep my American job for 5 years? Is that a big no-no? Obviously I would love to find a suitable Canadian job but it also has to financially make sense for us too...
448 is not competitive (unless you are in one of the categories). There's no lottery system in place(yet!).

Spend some time reading through EE. It doesn't seem like you read enough about it. Most of your questions will be easily answered simply by reading EE. Or use ChatGPT.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018

Why cant your spouse sponsor you? You can work from usa any number of years even if you are a canadian PR but you have to stay in canada for 3 years within a 5 year period to maintain PR status.

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020

Thanks all in advance!
If your PR had to be revoked because the job you get in Canada is not superior to the one you had in your home country, then nobody would get to stay in Canada.
Your biggest concern in case of cross-border employment would be to make sure you get your tax ducks in a row, because you would have to declare your world income to the Canadian Revenue Agency.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

448 is too low to be selected unless your occupation falls in under one of the special draws.

There is no issue in keeping your job in the US. You're worrying for no reason. Your problem is your low CRS score.

mugatu300

Mar 19, 2023
Why cant your spouse sponsor you? You can work from usa any number of years even if you are a canadian PR but you have to stay in canada for 3 years within a 5 year period to maintain PR status.
I've read that the processing time for spousal sponsorship is currently 14 months whereas EE is <6 months so I was wondering if that would work, even if I cannot find suitable employment for some time.

Also, for the educational assessment ECA, if I have multiple degrees from the USA, do I need to have both degrees validated or just the relevant one. For example, I have a bachelors degree in business and a masters degree in natural sciences. All my work experience is related to my masters degree; I work in biotech as a technologist.

mugatu300

Mar 19, 2023
448 is too low to be selected unless your occupation falls in under one of the special draws.

There is no issue in keeping your job in the US. You're worrying for no reason. Your problem is your low CRS score.
I thought I read the most recent draw cutoff was 375. As far as increasing my score, I dont believe there is much else I can do except for applying for Ontario provincial nom program. Thats where my wife lives so Ontario is where I would be going to. Do you think thats something I should pursue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I thought I read the most recent draw cutoff was 375. As far as increasing my score, I dont believe there is much else I can do except for applying for Ontario provincial nom program. Thats where my wife lives so Ontario is where I would be going to. Do you think thats something I should pursue?
The 375 cut off was for those who have taken a French language test. Do you speak / write / read French fluently?