+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry and PGWP

marl1997

Aug 11, 2022
Hello everyone,

I finished my bachelor's degree in summer and submitted my PGWP on August 12. According to the IRCC website, it would take almost 6 months for me to get my work permit, so I will be informed of their decision sometime in February. Meanwhile, I've been working as a Medical Admin Assistant and will reach 1560 hours in January. I was wondering if I can apply for express entry before getting my PGWP?

Additionally, I wanted to ask about the difference between Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker Program. With CEC, they don't count the hours I had worked when I was still in school; however, those hours are considered for FSW program, and it is more beneficial to me to apply for FSW as I can get my PR sooner (apply in January). Are there any major differences between these two programs, and can I apply for whichever I want or it has to be a specific program?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I finished my bachelor's degree in summer and submitted my PGWP on August 12. According to the IRCC website, it would take almost 6 months for me to get my work permit, so I will be informed of their decision sometime in February. Meanwhile, I've been working as a Medical Admin Assistant and will reach 1560 hours in January. I was wondering if I can apply for express entry before getting my PGWP?

Additionally, I wanted to ask about the difference between Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker Program. With CEC, they don't count the hours I had worked when I was still in school; however, those hours are considered for FSW program, and it is more beneficial to me to apply for FSW as I can get my PR sooner (apply in January). Are there any major differences between these two programs, and can I apply for whichever I want or it has to be a specific program?

I'd really appreciate your help.
To be eligible for FSW, you need one year, full-time, continuous skilled employer in one NOC. For CEC, you need one year of Canadian skilled work experience. So if you are eligible for FSW then apply.

marl1997

Aug 11, 2022
To be eligible for FSW, you need one year, full-time, continuous skilled employer in one NOC. For CEC, you need one year of Canadian skilled work experience. So if you are eligible for FSW then apply.
Thanks for your reply.
My job is part time, but I've been working full time hours since i graduated. According to the IRCC website, FSW requirement 1 year of continuous full time work, or its equivalent in part time jobs. So, based on this it looks like I'm also eligible for FSW.

Do you know if I can apply before my PGWP decision comes back?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
My job is part time, but I've been working full time hours since i graduated. According to the IRCC website, FSW requirement 1 year of continuous full time work, or its equivalent in part time jobs. So, based on this it looks like I'm also eligible for FSW.

Do you know if I can apply before my PGWP decision comes back?
If you have one year, continuous or 2 years part time, yes you are eligible if you have 67 points. Continuous means no breaks.