+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Explain Canadian Experience for EE

jimjim

Aug 8, 2014
Hello I find myself in a weird situation on how to explain my Canadian Work Experience.

I have 1 year work experience in Canada. Company X and company Y worked together on a project. I was working 35 per week on this project so I was getting paid half money from company X and the other half from company Y.

How can I explain this? I have 3 Ideas

- 2 Different entries and showing 35 hours for each company. (But this is not true, as it will show that I was working 70 hours per week in total)
- 2 Different entries and showing 17.5 hours for each company. (Also this is not true. )
- 1 entry and as employer I should say X + Y and both employers will explain the situation in a letter.

What do you think? I hope it makes sense.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
jimjim said:
Hello I find myself in a weird situation on how to explain my Canadian Work Experience.

I have 1 year work experience in Canada. Company X and company Y worked together on a project. I was working 35 per week on this project so I was getting paid half money from company X and the other half from company Y.

How can I explain this? I have 3 Ideas

- 2 Different entries and showing 35 hours for each company. (But this is not true, as it will show that I was working 70 hours per week in total)
- 2 Different entries and showing 17.5 hours for each company. (Also this is not true. )
- 1 entry and as employer I should say X + Y and both employers will explain the situation in a letter.

What do you think? I hope it makes sense.
Did you sign a contract and if so was it for/with one employer?

jimjim

Aug 8, 2014
Yes I signed a contract with company X and Company Y was paying me as an external employee without a contract. But I can provide the pay stubs from both companies.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
jimjim said:
Yes I signed a contract with company X and Company Y was paying me as an external employee without a contract. But I can provide the pay stubs from both companies.
It's a tough one.

I'd state it as one position of 35 hours a week, as I guess you did the same thing every day for the duration.

When it comes to who was your employer, write the name of the one who you think had the biggest connection to. Then write an LOE. If you can get both companies to write letters and reference/corroborate your story then you're golden.

jimjim

Aug 8, 2014
Yeah I was doing the same thing everyday day for the duration.
Both Companies are willing to provide a reference.

So I might put 1 entry and as employer I should say X + Y and both employers will explain the situation in a letter. I don't think I want to enter only one as an employer and the provide a letter from a company that it is not mentioned in my working experience!

Thanks for your help!

RaghuRam123

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
I have similar problem but not tough as yours

Hi,
Please provide any information about how independent contract works for Canadian experience class(CEC) or PNP in Ontario..

I got contract job and consultancy people hired me as independent contractor means they don't run payroll for me and I use my friend's incorporation details as I didn't incorporated..
1) is this works for CEC or not, if I use my friend company details and he run my payroll as his employee and give offer letter (his company have only 2 employees)
2) is it works for CEC/Express entry, if I run payroll from other province when I am working in one province(Ontario)
please post useful information,
Thanks in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jimjim said:
Could do it one of two ways. List it as a single position with Company X, provide both supporting letters, Letter of explanation, T4s (I assume you have T4s from both companies).

Or list it as two simultaneous positions. Split the hours whatever they may be (for example, 18 for Company X, 18 for Company Y). It matters not that it *looks* like part-time work, if they are performed simultanously, since the hours added together exceed 30, it will be treated as full-time work. Again, provide both letters, a Letter of Explanation, and supporting documents.

Don't think it matters which way you go as long as you explain and document it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
RaghuRam123 said:
I got contract job and consultancy people hired me as independent contractor means they don't run payroll for me and I use my friend's incorporation details as I didn't incorporated..
1) is this works for CEC or not, if I use my friend company details and he run my payroll as his employee and give offer letter (his company have only 2 employees)
2) is it works for CEC/Express entry, if I run payroll from other province when I am working in one province(Ontario)
please post useful information,
Thanks in advance
If you are on the payroll of your friend's company, you are not an independent contractor, your friend is your employer, and the company where you perform the work is your client. You should get letters from both your employer and your client.

Does not matter if your employer is in one province and you are living/working in another.