+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring Student Visa and SOWP

ruyit

Sep 18, 2019
Hi all,

My wife came to Canada as an international student, consequently I got a SOWP and came with her. She just finished her College program and is waiting for the graduation letter to apply for her PGWP. Both Visas are expiring in 10 weeks and we need some advice for our following steps. At the moment I’m working and I don’t want to lose my current job.

This is our plan. As soon as we get the graduation letter we are flagpoling at the Windsor-Detroit border to get her PGWP (we think this is a better option than Niagara, not sure about it). My Wife should start working after that, and get the three payslips needed to renew my SOWP.

Unfortunately we are really short of time, because we will have all the required papers to renew my SWOP only three weeks before my current one expires ( if not less than that), and according to the government I should apply for the renewal at least 30 days before expiring.

Please let me know if I have some alternatives.

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

My wife came to Canada as an international student, consequently I got a SOWP and came with her. She just finished her College program and is waiting for the graduation letter to apply for her PGWP. Both Visas are expiring in 10 weeks and we need some advice for our following steps. At the moment I’m working and I don’t want to lose my current job.

This is our plan. As soon as we get the graduation letter we are flagpoling at the Windsor-Detroit border to get her PGWP (we think this is a better option than Niagara, not sure about it). My Wife should start working after that, and get the three payslips needed to renew my SOWP.

Unfortunately we are really short of time, because we will have all the required papers to renew my SWOP only three weeks before my current one expires ( if not less than that), and according to the government I should apply for the renewal at least 30 days before expiring.

Please let me know if I have some alternatives.

Thank you so much for your help.
You don't have to apply 30 before. That is just a recommendation. You can apply up until your status actually expires.

Reactions: ruyit