+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card crossing borders and CBSA asked to contact IRCC

hangshus

Oct 5, 2024
Hello guys,

Here is my story, and I need some opinions.

My PR card expired two and a half years ago and over the last 5 years, I only lived in Canada for 9 months. When I crossed the border recently with my expired PR card by land from US, I was asked to talk to one of the officers in the building. The officer didn't issue me A44 reports nor ask me to sign any document to waive my permanent resident status. Instead, regular questions regarding if I meet the residence obligation, i.e. have you accompanied a spouse who is a Canadian citizen overseas, have you been employees by a Canadian firm overseas, etc.

After getting negative answers for all those questions, the officer asked my future plan and I said I would live here permanently. Then the officer asked for my phone number and address. Last the officer asked me to book an appointment with my local IRCC office and let them decide if my permanent residence status is still valid.

Here is my question? Have CBSA informed the IRCC yet? I know the formal approach to inform IRCC is to issue A44 reports. Should I contact IRCC at all or should I wait to see if I receive any phone calls or mails from IRCC for an in-person interview? My original plan was to stay in the country until I meet the residence obligation and then renew the PR card. If I contact IRCC now, they would know I didn't meet the residence obligation. What should I do guys?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

My PR card expired two and a half years ago and over the last 5 years, I only lived in Canada for 9 months. When I crossed the border recently with my expired PR card by land from US, I was asked to talk to one of the officers in the building. The officer didn't issue me A44 reports nor ask me to sign any document to waive my permanent resident status. Instead, regular questions regarding if I meet the residence obligation, i.e. have you accompanied a spouse who is a Canadian citizen overseas, have you been employees by a Canadian firm overseas, etc.

After getting negative answers for all those questions, the officer asked my future plan and I said I would live here permanently. Then the officer asked for my phone number and address. Last the officer asked me to book an appointment with my local IRCC office and let them decide if my permanent residence status is still valid.

Here is my question? Have CBSA informed the IRCC yet? I know the formal approach to inform IRCC is to issue A44 reports. Should I contact IRCC at all or should I wait to see if I receive any phone calls or mails from IRCC for an in-person interview? My original plan was to stay in the country until I meet the residence obligation and then renew the PR card. If I contact IRCC now, they would know I didn't meet the residence obligation. What should I do guys?
I would remain in Canada without leaving for 2 straight years to meet the residency obligation and only then apply to renew your PR card. I would not contact IRCC now.

It's possible CBSA has informed IRCC of something but I would still do as the above.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys,

I concur with the suggestions from @scylla

At this point, you have no idea if CBSA has taken any action towards informing IRCC that you appear be out of compliance regarding the required residency obligation to maintain PR Status.

You should also start to create the narrative that you may need if IRCC contacts you regarding your status. Having not lived in Canada and alreday being out of compliance, you should determine what, if any, H&C grounds you may have to appease IRCC if they start the process to revoke your status.