+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired passport, lost PR card - will this be a problem for my citizenship app?

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I sent my citizenship application in on 3/14/2016. Beyond stressed because I have a bit of an unusual problem.

I have no problem with the residency requirement - I haven't left Canada in 7 years!

My problem is with ID.

I have an expired South African Passport (expired in 2011).
A few years ago I lost my driver's license and PR card (awful experience!)
The only ID I have is my expired passport, my non photo provincial health card, my birth certificate, and my landing papers.

I tried to replace my PR card but they refused to issue it because my passport was expired, and I didn't have the original passport I arrived in Canada with in 1998 (it was destroyed when I got a new South African passport and I only have a certified copy of the biographical page). They told me I had to renew my south African passport. But I can't renew my South African passport because I need to get fingerprinted and to do that I need NON EXPIRED photo ID. I can't renew my drivers license for the same reason (believe me I've tried).

So I've applied for citizenship but I'm terrified I'm going to have issues because of my expired passport and lost (and expired anyway) PR card. I did write a letter with my application explaining the whole thing but I have no idea what's going to happen....

Has anyone here been in a similar situation?

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
What province?

You can use your birth certificate and your landing papers.

For quebec
https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/drivers-licences/reacquiring-licence/loss-theft-damage/

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
Taxed said:
What province?

You can use your birth certificate and your landing papers.

For quebec
I am in BC. They would not accept my landing papers/birth certificate combo at our Driver's Licensing office (ICBC), which is unfortunately also the place you have to go if you need to acquire a BC photo ID or a BC Healthcare card that has a photo :(

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
I have tried a lot of different options, all unsuccessful, to obtain valid non expired photo ID.

Has any one else here gone through applying for citizenship with an expired passport, no PR card? The CIC website does not specifiy that the passport needs to be valid/not expired. Unlike the requirements for a PR card.

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you tried filing a police report?
do you have south african Drivers license? or was it taken away by the ICBC?

There usually is an option for people visiting other countries in cases where they lose all ID documents. Have you tried visiting or communicating with south African Embassy?
Since you are a PR you are still Citizen of South Africa. In this case I believe they are the only people who will come to your Aid.

And also, Have you studied the instruction guide for renewal and replacement of PR card? there are alternative methods of proving Identity there.
Primary ID required does not need to be valid as per the guide.

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
ifeedly said:
Have you tried filing a police report?
do you have south african Drivers license? or was it taken away by the ICBC?

There usually is an option for people visiting other countries in cases where they lose all ID documents. Have you tried visiting or communicating with south African Embassy?
Since you are a PR you are still Citizen of South Africa. In this case I believe they are the only people who will come to your Aid.

And also, Have you studied the instruction guide for renewal and replacement of PR card? there are alternative methods of proving Identity there.
Primary ID required does not need to be valid as per the guide.
There is no South African embassy in Canada. There is a consulate in Toronto that may be able to help me? But they can't tell me over the phone I will have to save up the airfare to fly there from Vancouver and go in, which may or may not be successful. They also can't process the passport application here in Canada, they forward everything to South Africa.

I did study the instruction guide for the PR card. I am having a back and forth with a CIC officer who has my application. I keep saying: here are my alternative ID proofs as per the instruction guide, and she just keeps sending me back a letter saying they need a valid passport OR the passport with landing stamp from when I landed in Canada and that there are no exceptions. They won't offer any explanation as to why the Guide says one thing and they are saying another.

It's a Kafkaesque nightmare.

I have submitted my citizenship application as well, with a letter stating what ID I have and what's missing and why, as well as photocopies of the ID I do have. Still waiting to hear back.

VTG

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
2015-01-29
AOR Received.
2015-03-10
File Transfer...
2015-06-02
KWafrica said:
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I sent my citizenship application in on 3/14/2016. Beyond stressed because I have a bit of an unusual problem.

I have no problem with the residency requirement - I haven't left Canada in 7 years!

My problem is with ID.

I have an expired South African Passport (expired in 2011).
A few years ago I lost my driver's license and PR card (awful experience!)
The only ID I have is my expired passport, my non photo provincial health card, my birth certificate, and my landing papers.

I tried to replace my PR card but they refused to issue it because my passport was expired, and I didn't have the original passport I arrived in Canada with in 1998 (it was destroyed when I got a new South African passport and I only have a certified copy of the biographical page). They told me I had to renew my south African passport. But I can't renew my South African passport because I need to get fingerprinted and to do that I need NON EXPIRED photo ID. I can't renew my drivers license for the same reason (believe me I've tried).

So I've applied for citizenship but I'm terrified I'm going to have issues because of my expired passport and lost (and expired anyway) PR card. I did write a letter with my application explaining the whole thing but I have no idea what's going to happen....

Has anyone here been in a similar situation?
With Icbc you can get a duplicate Dl if it is still valid (they are for 5yrs) they don't need a photo Id they can check you in their system. Would the lost DL still be valid

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
See this link.
http://www.southafrica-canada.ca/Consular/passport-application.htm
You can get a new passport made by sending your documents by courier to Ottawa. Also not sure why your previous passport would have been destroyed when applying for a new passport. As per this website, they only ask for a certified copy of the front page.
Unfortunately renewing PR card with a missing passport will mean delays, possibly even secondary review.

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
Almost_Canadian said:
See this link.

You can get a new passport made by sending your documents by courier to Ottawa. Also not sure why your previous passport would have been destroyed when applying for a new passport. As per this website, they only ask for a certified copy of the front page.
Unfortunately renewing PR card with a missing passport will mean delays, possibly even secondary review.
This is the issue:

BI 9 form – Full set of fingerprints. This form must be submitted by applicants 16 years old and above. Fingerprints can be taken at the nearest police station, fingerprints taking centers

I have not been able to find a single place willing to take my fingerprints without valid (not expired) photo ID

Also, the passport does not get made in Ottawa. The send the application to South Africa, and it comes back in 6 - 12 months. I would apply if I could find anywhere to fingerprint me with no valid photo ID!

KWafrica

Mar 18, 2016
AHHHH finally some better news.

Having not had anything helpful form the SA consulate before, I emailed all three of the "higher ups" directly. And they said that if I can fly to Toronto they will help me with my fingerprinting and passport renewal :)

If I can renew my passport, hen I can get a replacement card finally!

Since I have already submitted my Citizenship application, I will wait until they open it and give me a case #. Then I can let them know that I can now apply to renew my passport and replace my PR card, and see if I should withdraw my application or what the best thing to do would be. I don't want to arouse suspicion by applying for a bunch of ID. So I will talk to them so they know everything that's going on and why

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[quote author= link=topic=404777.msg5070065#msg5070065 date=1458688226]
AHHHH finally some better news.

Having not had anything helpful form the SA consulate before, I emailed all three of the "higher ups" directly. And they said that if I can fly to Toronto they will help me with my fingerprinting and passport renewal :)

If I can renew my passport, hen I can get a replacement card finally!

Since I have already submitted my Citizenship application, I will wait until they open it and give me a case #. Then I can let them know that I can now apply to renew my passport and replace my PR card, and see if I should withdraw my application or what the best thing to do would be. I don't want to arouse suspicion by applying for a bunch of ID. So I will talk to them so they know everything that's going on and why
[/quote]

finally some good news. :)
go for it man, don't let it go this time.
and rush, so they don't forget about your case.
best of luck