+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired COPR what happens?

ginbiscuit

Oct 9, 2009
Hi there, could anybody give me some advice please.

We noticed that the application for PR had changed status online to “Decision Made” - this was the beginning of January, and they said they will contact me. The address online was my husband’s Canadian address, so we assumed all correspondence etc. would be sent there. I have been refused before under a different category and I know that letters with a “decision made” can take almost three months to arrive, so we waited for 2 1/2 months before we emailed London. They replied back the next day saying congratulations I, have been approved and accepted, and that the COPR was sent out on the 17th of Dec (to the UK address) and to advise them if we could retrieve the documents. We later found out that some idot signed for it and it never passed it on to my family. This letter which was posted the 17th of December, along with COPR forms, explained that I must land in Canada before 15th of March and have the COPR forms signed in the presence of an immigration officer. We emailed the processing office in London back, explaining we never got the letter, but it was signed for, and that I was already in Canada – where I was issued with an extended 12 month visitor visa, and what action we take from here. They haven’t replied back to us as yet. So we’re still in limbo as to whether the decision for approval will be withdrawn, whether we will have to begin the whole application process again from start. Does anyone have any ideas or useful information in this situation? What happens now?

McDutch

Dec 20, 2011
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
File Transfer...
11-08-2012
Med's Done....
REDONE: 22-01-2013
LANDED..........
26-04-2013
Did you try contacting them?

That would be step 1.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
While you are waiting for a reply, try contacting your Canadian MP. They are sometimes very helpful.

ginbiscuit

Oct 9, 2009
Yes we emailed them straight away, they have not replied back to us yet. Also thank you for you reply, I will have a look into contacting our local MP. Hopefully they will just re-issue the paperwork and we don't have to go down that road.

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
please let us know what happens. This is most unfortunate. My prayers are with you !

ginbiscuit

Oct 9, 2009
Thank you, It's really stressful for us not knowing again, and our two year old daughter may have to spend more time apart from her daddy, if they make us re-apply again.

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
ginbiscuit said:
Thank you, It's really stressful for us not knowing again, and our two year old daughter may have to spend more time apart from her daddy, if they make us re-apply again.
I hope they don't make you do the whole thing again! Surely it would make more sense on their end just to print out the paperwork again? Fingers crossed for you, let us know how it goes.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
When did you do the original medicals? Often they make the COPR expiry date match the 1-year date of medicals, so if your COPR expired March 15th that might mean you did medicals March 15, 2012?

Hopefully they can just extend the COPR expiry date along with your medicals, or worst case will require you to get new medicals done. Hope they don't make you delay too much.

Oh and hopefully you've told off whoever it was that signed for but didn't give you the COPR to begin with!!

ginbiscuit

Oct 9, 2009
I checked my paperwork and you are correct my medical were done on the 15th of march 2012, so at least we understand now why that date was put on there and we can sleep a little better knowing that very worst case could be getting New medicals done. We really appreciate your information on this.

We still have no idea who signed for it, it was delivered to the business address at the back of the property and just left on under a pile of junk magazines, where it was left for almost 3 months. At the end of the day it’s not Londons fault, they posted the letter out and sent it recorded, but if they had just given more information out online, to where it was being posted too and the date, this letter would have been found a lot sooner.

elmo12345

Aug 26, 2013
Can you let me know what happened in the end? Did you get your COPR extended? It seems I might end up in a similar situation. The vienna office used the wrong address twice to send it, when they finally contact me 3 weeks ago. And this time canada post send the papers back to vienna without even attempting to deliver them, and nobody knows why. The expire date of the COPR is september 12th 2013. I don't know if the vienna office will send them again, and if they will be in canada on time, so i would like to know what to do in case they don't get here on time.

ginbiscuit

Oct 9, 2009
Hi elmo12345, sorry to hear you are having similar problems, my PR was only finalised just last week. The COPR actually corresponds with the date on your medicals, what London office did was extend my Medicals for another year, but they did say at the time there was no guarantee and I may have to resubmit new Medicals, i think, they charged me something like $30 for re-submitting each COPR again. I would try and contact them, as it sounds like you may not get it in time, i know they are usually in no rush to reply back to you and Canada post can be slow too. If you do get your COPR in time, you either have to leave the country and re-enter before that date or book an appointment and call into an office that will deal with your case.

I had to enter Canada without my paperwork in the end and explain to immigration why i only had a one way flight. Also if/when you do have new a COPR issued you will need to send in a new photo, that was another delay for us, they didn't tell us at the time the photo had to be to the specifications as requested on their website. I hope this helps.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
I'm having a similar case with my wife, also i've posted on this forum, whereby we received on Dec. 9th, 2014 her COPR and Visa in her passport from CPC Ottawa , but with a validity date of only Dec. 4th, so basically already 5 days late on the COPR....

We've written to Vienna (where we applied from outside Canada) and to the CPC in ottawa to apply for a new COPR with a new date.

It seems our original medical expired on Dec. 4th, 2014, but we saw this coming and on Nov. 13th, 2014 my wife underwent in Calgary a new exam and we sent to Vienna for uploading and to CPC Ottawa.

Im glad to read in the below that the embassy at your side was able to extend the COPR by extending the medical date, and i just hope that the same will apply of us.

When we called CIC call centre the lady was quite assuring saying that it shouldn't be a problem, but i wouldn't hold my breath quite yet..
martin