App. Filed.......
Sept 26, 2014
AOR Received.
November 14, 2014
Med's Done....
September 9, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 29, 2014
So here's something I just can't quite figure out. I'm sure it's very simple, but the answer is eluding me...

If the COPR expires 1 year from the time your medicals were performed, but it takes (in my case) upwards of 16 months before the COPR is issued, how does that work?

What giant puzzle piece am I missing here?

Reactions: Joshua_Max

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
they will extend the medicals to help the applicant get through landing. Many recent COPRs (mine included) were valid past the 1 year anniversary date or CIC will call the applicant to confim availibility to land within a certain period of time. CIC has the ability to extend medicals for 1 year.

Reactions: Joshua_Max

Claudzilla

Star Member
Sep 26, 2014
Airdrie, AB by way of Nashville, TN
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 26, 2014
AOR Received.
November 14, 2014
Med's Done....
September 9, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 29, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
they will extend the medicals to help the applicant get through landing. Many recent COPRs (mine included) were valid past the 1 year anniversary date or CIC will call the applicant to confim availibility to land within a certain period of time. CIC has the ability to extend medicals for 1 year.
Thanks for this info! So, seeing as you've already landed, can you tell me a bit about how the renewal process works? As soon as I think I have this process figured out, I realize there are still giant, gaping holes in my knowledge.

I read one case where someone got their COPR and it expired within the same month it was issued (so, just long enough for her to land and unpack). No need for extreme detail since I haven't even gotten SA yet, but in a nutshell, how do you go about renewing? And, I'm assuming you have to renew annually?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Claudzilla said:
Thanks for this info! So, seeing as you've already landed, can you tell me a bit about how the renewal process works? As soon as I think I have this process figured out, I realize there are still giant, gaping holes in my knowledge.

I read one case where someone got their COPR and it expired within the same month it was issued (so, just long enough for her to land and unpack). No need for extreme detail since I haven't even gotten SA yet, but in a nutshell, how do you go about renewing? And, I'm assuming you have to renew annually?
renew what? your medicals? CIC will do it automatically, or people who have the concern have sent case specific enqueries to CIC asking about it. I did not have to do anything. When i received my COPR, the validity date and my medical expiration date was 3 weeks past the 1 year anniversary date. My visa office did it automatically, and as mentioned above, others have reported getting calls from CIC asking about landing availability. All visa offices work differently for issuing the visa, some people will have a short amount of time to land, others will have months. there's no way someone can tell you exactly what will happen or how long your copr will be valid for.

Claudzilla

Star Member
Sep 26, 2014
Airdrie, AB by way of Nashville, TN
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 26, 2014
AOR Received.
November 14, 2014
Med's Done....
September 9, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 29, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
renew what? your medicals? CIC will do it automatically, or people who have the concern have sent case specific enqueries to CIC asking about it. I did not have to do anything. When i received my COPR, the validity date and my medical expiration date was 3 weeks past the 1 year anniversary date. My visa office did it automatically, and as mentioned above, others have reported getting calls from CIC asking about landing availability. All visa offices work differently for issuing the visa, some people will have a short amount of time to land, others will have months. there's no way someone can tell you exactly what will happen or how long your copr will be valid for.
Your confusion over my questions actually cleared up some things for me! I'd gotten it into my head that something would need to be renewed once the COPR expired. Glad to know I was heading down the completely wrong trail with that line of thinking.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Claudzilla said:
Your confusion over my questions actually cleared up some things for me! I'd gotten it into my head that something would need to be renewed once the COPR expired. Glad to know I was heading down the completely wrong trail with that line of thinking.
once the copr expires, it expires. if a person doesn't land before it expires, they have to start all over again. if a person lands before it expires, then they land and become a PR. CIC will then issue a PR card to use to prove residency. It's important to keep the expired copr in your files for future needs.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Claudzilla said:
So here's something I just can't quite figure out. I'm sure it's very simple, but the answer is eluding me...

If the COPR expires 1 year from the time your medicals were performed, but it takes (in my case) upwards of 16 months before the COPR is issued, how does that work?

What giant puzzle piece am I missing here?
Why do you think it will take 16 months? Outland apps for US citizens these days are taking around 6+ months through CPC-Ottawa office. Just review the CPC-Ottawa thread here for current times.

However if they take longer CIC "may" extend the medicals. In many cases once your medical is expired and PR is still processing, CIC makes you do a whole new medical all over again to renew it. To extend or re-do... is entirely up to CIC.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Why do you think it will take 16 months? Outland apps for US citizens these days are taking around 6+ months through CPC-Ottawa office. Just review the CPC-Ottawa thread here for current times.
probably because the CIC site has 16 months as the posted processing time for Ottawa, even though recent applicants are getting approved in 3-7ish months. if you can believe it, it actually INCREASED from the previous posted time even though applicants have been experiencing quite the opposite in recent months. To me, this just proves the data being referenced is significantly outdated. My guess is the OP doesn't know the posted processing time is not accurate and doesn't reflect how a majority of applications are being processed.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
rhcohen2014 said:
probably because the CIC site has 16 months as the posted processing time for Ottawa, even though recent applicants are getting approved in 3-7ish months. if you can believe it, it actually INCREASED from the previous posted time even though applicants have been experiencing quite the opposite in recent months.
Ottawa has taken on additional load to help out some of the other backlogged visa offices abroad. I believe they started to get some applications from Islamabad. This would explain the overall increased time despite some of the US application getting fast tracked.

svejdam

Dec 9, 2014
we have a similar case, that is the medical expired on dec. 4th , 2014 and we received for my wife her COPR on Nov. 19th. problem was we received her passport from CPC on Dec. 9th , 2014 ... ergo missed the COPR validity date.
We were told by CIC that we need to extend the medical, so we've written to Vienna to do so, and asked for a new COPR so that we can have time enough to get my wife landed from within Canada where we are waiting since April... 2014
does that make sense??