+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expert Advice Needed: Permanent Resident

PermenantMont

Aug 14, 2024
I need an advice, i am a Permanent Resident and my PR card expired in May 2022,

Since than I have been abroad with my working Canadian wife for three years now....

How can i return to Canada as my card expired on 10 May 2022?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Since than I have been abroad with my working Canadian wife for three years now....

Apply for a PRTD.

PermenantMont

Aug 14, 2024
what does this mean

• Accompanying outside Canada
    (4) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(ii) and (iv) of the Act and this section, a permanent resident is accompanying outside Canada a Canadian citizen or another permanent resident — who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent — on each day that the permanent resident is ordinarily residing with the Canadian citizen or the other permanent resident.

Reactions: Kiva667

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what does this mean

(4) For the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(ii) and (iv) of the Act and this section, a permanent resident is accompanying outside Canada a Canadian citizen or another permanent resident — who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent — on each day that the permanent resident is ordinarily residing with the Canadian citizen or the other permanent resident.
Did you settle in Canada with your spouse after getting PR? If so, multiple entry PRTD may be the best option if you just want to visit Canada not move back to Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what does this mean

Be careful NOT to assume that this applies to all PR's residing abroad with their Canadian spouse or partner!

If a PR was previously settled (as in, living) in Canada with their spouse/partner BEFORE choosing to reside abroad, they are likely eligible for those days to count towards the Residency Requirement.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

If you can travel to the U.S., you can then use ground transportation to get to Canada.

Or, as long as you are complying with the PR Residency Obligation, as both @scylla and @canuck78 have commented, you can apply for a PR Travel Document in the appropriate visa office. For guide and instructions to make a PR TD application, see here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Of course a key consideration is whether or not you are complying with the PR Residency Obligation. If, as it appears, you have been outside Canada for more than the last three years, obviously you need to qualify for RO credit based on one of the exceptions.

If your spouse is a Canadian citizen, and you and your spouse left Canada together and have been living together, you probably qualify for the accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse RO credit. This is discussed at length here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/who-accompanied-whom-can-matter-for-prs-living-with-citizen-spouse-abroad-update.579860/ and is based on subsection 28(2)(a)(ii) IRPA.

If your spouse is NOT a Canadian citizen, but is a PR who qualifies for the working-abroad-for-a-Canadian-business RO credit, you MIGHT qualify for RO based on accompanying your PR spouse. I address this further in the other topic you started, here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/a-permanent-resident-complies-with-the-residency-obligation-as-long-as-the-permanent-resident-they-are-accompanying-complies-with-their-ro.853498/#post-10893077

As I discuss in the other topic, the answer to the question you ask as the title/subject of that thread is NO. In particular, you ask:
"A permanent resident complies with the residency obligation as long as the permanent resident they are accompanying complies with their RO?"​

Again: No. A PR does not comply with the RO as long as the PR they are accompanying complies with their RO.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Does PRTD means certificate of identity travel document?
CI is (certificate of identity travel document), it's for people who doesn't have other travel document and cannot be issued RTD (Refugee Travel document).

PRTD is for PRs to use in place of their PR cards (expired/lost) and they still need their other travel document (e.g. home country passport) to return to Canada.