+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience class and IELTS

pikey

Feb 12, 2010
So, I just called a guy at CIC and it looks like even though I have graduated from university and have a job I still need to prove that I can speak English. Is that actually true? Because I have other things I'd rather do than take an English test after being in Canada for 5 years.

pikey

Feb 12, 2010
This is idiotic. I had to take the test to get into university, so obviously I do speak English and I haven't forgotten it since.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
pikey said:
This is idiotic. I had to take the test to get into university, so obviously I do speak English and I haven't forgotten it since.
so true...if we were admitted into a Canadian University for Masters and finish the degree with good grades obviously we would know English...but what can we do ....they have the authority

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
Candidates receive points based on language ability, so it's a good way to separate out better English speakers.

Language testing has always been a part of the PR process, otherwise the country would be flooded with immigrants who would struggle to find employment with poor English/French skills.

I'm English and I still had to prove I can speak English, but I don't mind, it's just part of the process.

Also, from my experience here it's definitely good that more points are awarded to stronger English speakers, there are far too many people who are already PRs that can just about cope with the language.

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
doubleym said:
Candidates receive points based on language ability, so it's a good way to separate out better English speakers.

Language testing has always been a part of the PR process, otherwise the country would be flooded with immigrants who would struggle to find employment with poor English/French skills.

I'm English and I still had to prove I can speak English, but I don't mind, it's just part of the process.

Also, from my experience here it's definitely good that more points are awarded to stronger English speakers, there are far too many people who are already PRs that can just about cope with the language.
Yes you are right...but we are not saying no english ...but you must trust your institutes if you believe a person can pass from your university with good grades without even knowing english then there must be some problem with the educational system

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
dukhi said:
Yes you are right...but we are not saying no english ...but you must trust your institutes if you believe a person can pass from your university with good grades without even knowing english then there must be some problem with the educational system
This may be the case, but as I said, candidates receive varying points dependent on their Language ability, it's a way to differentiate applicants who would otherwise be matching in terms of experience/qualifications, it's not just a case of pass/fail.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah exactly, under a pass/fail system such as the old CEC, re-doing the IELTS would have been a pain in the arse. I had to do it recently and I'm an Australian national who has never spoken any other language but English, but now that the CRS rewards people with a higher degree of English with more points, I can at least take solace that my $300 was somewhat worth it.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
pikey said:
Those are easy points to score for someone like you and they are a big bucket of points.

Rather than fight it, save time and apply for IELTS as soon as possible Remember, only the General Training IELTS is required for Immigration purposes.