+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Excruciating wait for oath ceremony

Cpr2cc

Nov 16, 2022
Hi all,
My wife and I have been waiting for over 25 months after submitting (by mail, our citizenship application. Took and cleared the test over a year ago. We reached out to our MPs but nothing came of that. We’ve emailed and called IRCC. We’ve even spoken to a couple agents separately who told us the same thing - that they escalated our case to another department since our application is beyond 25 months old.
We’ve gotten to learn about quite some people who’ve submitted applications online and have already gotten their Canadian passports and some have gotten their oath ceremony invitations.
What else can we do to find out why it’s taking so long?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hi all,
My wife and I have been waiting for over 25 months after submitting (by mail, our citizenship application. Took and cleared the test over a year ago. We reached out to our MPs but nothing came of that. We’ve emailed and called IRCC. We’ve even spoken to a couple agents separately who told us the same thing - that they escalated our case to another department since our application is beyond 25 months old.
We’ve gotten to learn about quite some people who’ve submitted applications online and have already gotten their Canadian passports and some have gotten their oath ceremony invitations.
What else can we do to find out why it’s taking so long?
I am sorry it's taking you this long...

What is your full timeline?
What stage is your application - Is BG Complete? Is LPP complete?

Have you ordered GCMS notes? If not why don't you order GCMS notes from CBSA and you'll get it in about 30 days

Reactions: Cpr2cc

Cpr2cc

Nov 16, 2022
I am sorry it's taking you this long...

What is your full timeline?
What stage is your application - Is BG Complete? Is LPP complete?

Have you ordered GCMS notes? If not why don't you order GCMS notes from CBSA and you'll get it in about 30 days
Everything on our applications are complete except the oath ceremony.
Would it still make sense to order the GCMS notes in this case?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Everything on our applications are complete except the oath ceremony.
Would it still make sense to order the GCMS notes in this case?
I see... So all you need is oath. finding out which office is processing your application is useful.

You can call to find out or order GCMS notes to find out which office is processing your application. Once you have this information, maybe emailing the office again might make your application move.

Currently, there is a pending rule change (30 day comment period) that will allow applicants to take oath online without the presence of an immigration judge. The proposal is likely to go into effect in June 2023 and will eliminate the need for oath ceremonies. I know it's asking too much to wait that long... but you can take a look below:
https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-02-25/html/reg1-eng.html

The other option is to talk to an immigration lawyer to draft a "Demand Letter" for a Mandamus application in a Federal court. This option may cost you money but it's something to consider