+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exact documents needed for renewal PR - SEP 2024

samfah

Sep 19, 2024
I have an expired PR card and have lived in Canada for more than two years. I am really confused about the required documents because some sites said that I do not need to provide proof that I met the residency obligation. However, after reviewing the checklist, it clearly states that proof is needed.

Can someone advise what the requirements are now exactly?
I do not mind providing any proof since I have all the documents but I do not want to offer unnecessary documents

Please help me clear this confusion!

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
You should always follow the instructions provided by IRCC directly when it comes to completing applications, not what some other websites say.

If you meet the residency obligation, you still need to provide evidence. Two documents are sufficient. This could consist of a bank statement, a tax return, pay slips or anything else that indicates you were in Canada at the time you indicated in the application.

Reactions: armoured

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have an expired PR card and have lived in Canada for more than two years. I am really confused about the required documents because some sites said that I do not need to provide proof that I met the residency obligation. However, after reviewing the checklist, it clearly states that proof is needed.

Can someone advise what the requirements are now exactly?
I do not mind providing any proof since I have all the documents but I do not want to offer unnecessary documents

Please help me clear this confusion!
As @armoured and @Besram stated, follow IRCC's instructions.

The checklist specifically refers to the instructions for providing "proof showing that you meet the residency obligation" that are in the guide for making a PR card application in "Appendix A" which is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

Follow those instructions applicable to YOUR situation. That should suffice to clear the confusion.

Just in case you need further clarification:

Yes, the checklist can be confusing. In particular, many have been confused about what "proof" the checklist requires to be included. It states:

[ ] Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation in the past five (5) years immediately before the application. Please refer to Appendix A of the instruction guide for a list of the documents required.

This is vague because the documents to be included vary depending on the particular PR's situation, as set out in detail in Appendix A. It is up to the PR to read, understand, and follow the instructions that are applicable to their own case.

For most, which is for those who meet the RO based on days physically present IN Canada, just two items (documents) that are evidence of residency in Canada will suffice, just as @Besram stated:
If you meet the residency obligation, you still need to provide evidence. Two documents are sufficient. This could consist of a bank statement, a tax return, pay slips or anything else that indicates you were in Canada at the time you indicated in the application.
In the Appendix it details the additional documents that need to be submitted for those PRs claiming and relying on RO credit for days outside Canada, listed under "Time spent outside Canada" and the various situations in which a PR can get credit for days outside Canada if the PR was outside Canada for more than 1095 days (in the relevant time period). It also describes what needs to be submitted if the PR does not meet the RO and is applying based on H&C considerations. NO need to include any of this unless in the travel history Chart for question 5.5 the total number of days outside Canada adds up to more than 1095.