+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ex employer refused to give reference letter

Sonali Gupta

May 9, 2023
Hi All
I worked in a company as an administrative assistant for 1.5 year. I applied my PR on the basis of that experience. Now I am asking my ex employer to provide me the reference letter. She is refusing to give that to me. She said that now you have joined a new company, ask them to provide them the letter. I tried to explain her that my PR application is based on the work experience I worked with your company, but she is not understanding it. She just sent me an ROE and said this provides the details.
I trued to contact my coworkers as well, they said they will have to ask that manager if they can write you a letter or not. They donot want to be in any trouble because they are still working for that employer.

Just so you know, that is a family owned company and there is no HR department. The owner is the manager.

What do I do now? Help please

Maan1

Apr 12, 2023
Hi Sonali,
Your only option is to persuade your employer to give you the letter; there is no other option. Perhaps you can go and meet her in person, try to talk and reason with her, share the details of your journey by telling her why it is important. You can also mention that if there are any fees associated with it, you will be happy to pay those.
To make it easier for her, you can make a sample reference letter and show it to her.
I hope she will understand.
All the best.