+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ex employer refused to give reference letter

ash_diaz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
Hi, one of my ex employers is refusing to give me a reference letter stating my job duties as I left that company more than 2 years ago. To make matters worse, all of my ex colleagues who I could ask for such a letter have also left that company now. What are my fallback options here ? Could I get a reference letter from an ex colleague (who no longer works there) along with his business card and get it notarized and submit with the below documents ? But it won't be on the company letter head :(

1. Offer letter
2. Acceptance of resignation
3. Service letter- this states the work that I did although not too extensively
4. Pay slips

anybody who has been in this situation please advice as I'm really worried that this will cause issues. Thanks in advance !!

UAnozieO

Feb 20, 2020
They anticipate such cases, you need to have documented evidence that you attempted to request the letter without success. so send the request by email and send reminders also. You can attach the emails to a letter of explanation.

Ensure the email address you sent it to is the company's official email address.

ash_diaz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
I have these emails. Additionally is it worth if I get a detailed reference letter from an ex colleague even though he’s no longer working at that company ?

UAnozieO

Feb 20, 2020
I have these emails. Additionally is it worth if I get a detailed reference letter from an ex colleague even though he’s no longer working at that company ?
Not necessarily because it wouldn't come in the format they need it, attach the mails, the official documents you have and a letter of explanation. You might still attach the letter from your previous colleague as it doesnt hurt anyone, if he still has a copy of his ID card, that will help.

UAnozieO

Feb 20, 2020
Also attach as much supporting documents as possible, such as employment contract, tax statement, pension or provident fund statement indicating payment from the company, bank deposit statement, salary slip to support your claim. There are similar cases in the past.

ash_diaz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
Also attach as much supporting documents as possible, such as employment contract, tax statement, pension or provident fund statement indicating payment from the company, bank deposit statement, salary slip to support your claim. There are similar cases in the past.
thank you for your advice !

has anyone ever got PR by attaching a reference letter from their ex colleague who no longer works at that company ? some proof of this would be comforting.