+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA problem because of previously working in Canada

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
My father is trying to come to Canada to visit me in May but when he applied for an eTA he has been asked to submit a form to 'voluntarily renounce permanent resident status'. He worked in Canada in the 80s nearly 40 years ago for less than 2 years therefore assumes he does not have PR status.
Has anyone else experienced this? On this form (IMM 5782 E) one of the questions asks for 'The number on your Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Permanent Resident Card'. He does not have this number. Does he need to apply for 'Verification of Status (VOS) IMM 5009 E' in order to get this number?
Any other information welcome as I am running out of time to get this sorted - have not seen him in 3 years!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My father is trying to come to Canada to visit me in May but when he applied for an eTA he has been asked to submit a form to 'voluntarily renounce permanent resident status'. He worked in Canada in the 80s nearly 40 years ago for less than 2 years therefore assumes he does not have PR status.
Has anyone else experienced this? On this form (IMM 5782 E) one of the questions asks for 'The number on your Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Permanent Resident Card'. He does not have this number. Does he need to apply for 'Verification of Status (VOS) IMM 5009 E' in order to get this number?
Any other information welcome as I am running out of time to get this sorted - have not seen him in 3 years!
What do you mean “assumes he does not have PR status.” When he came to Canada was he a PR? You don‘t lose your PR status. If he is PR, he would need to apply to renounce, wait and then apply for eTA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to try and enter Canada and be reported for not meeting your Rep to lose your PR status. You don’t automatically lose your PR if you don’t meet your RO. Once he renounces he should get the ETA.

Reactions: KatieA

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
What do you mean “assumes he does not have PR status.” When he came to Canada was he a PR? You don‘t lose your PR status. If he is PR, he would need to apply to renounce, wait and then apply for eTA.
I think back in the 80s Permanent Residency wasn't really a thing? (I don't know, I wasn't around then). The definition of PR now seems to include 'landed immigrants' which is what he was classed as when he was here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think back in the 80s Permanent Residency wasn't really a thing? (I don't know, I wasn't around then). The definition of PR now seems to include 'landed immigrants' which is what he was classed as when he was here.
Yes it got rolled into PR.

Reactions: KatieA

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
“Wasn’t a thing”… He is a PR if he was a landed immigrant.The same thing. So he is still a PR. So he either renounces, and applies for ETA or enter through land border as PR. He may be reported for not meeting RO and deportation/removal hearings will begin.

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
Yes it got rolled into PR.
Ok thank you. So does this mean if he sends off the form renouncing his PR then his eTA will get processed with no issues? The 'voluntarily renounce permanent resident status' form asks for ‘Immigration document Date of issue’ and the 'document number'. He has no record of these. Does he need to send off a 'verification of status form' to get that or is there some other form perhaps the 'Solem Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, destroyed or never received permanent resident card' form?

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
“Wasn’t a thing”… He is a PR if he was a landed immigrant.The same thing. So he is still a PR. So he either renounces, and applies for ETA or enter through land border as PR. He may be reported for not meeting RO and deportation/removal hearings will begin.
He's obviously not going to do that...

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
So he will not renounce his PR? He can't apply for ETA until he renounces his PR.

Applying to Voluntarily Renounce Permanent Resident Status - Canada.ca
no. I was saying he won't enter on PR. He will be renouncing PR to continue his eTA application. He did not remember what his status was, he just remembered he worked over here it was a long time ago and vaguely that a document said 'landed immigrant' so we were trying to work that out and how to fill out the forms on limited information.

KatieA

Oct 19, 2018
You need to try and enter Canada and be reported for not meeting your Rep to lose your PR status. You don’t automatically lose your PR if you don’t meet your RO. Once he renounces he should get the ETA.
Thank you so much. We were unaware that he had PR until looking into today's definition of 'landed immigrant' so are going through the process now of renouncing his PR so that he can continue with his eTA application and hopefully should be ok then.
Just not sure what to fill out where it asks the date when you got PR and number of your record of landing etc. as he doesn't have record of these.