+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA Delay - Any help/guidance appreciated.

DelayConcern

Jun 19, 2024
United Kingdom
Category........
VISIT
Hi,

I applied for 3 eTA's for my wife, child and myself on 04th June. These were 3 separate applications. We're all UK citizens with full UK passports.

My wife and child received email responses of approved eTA's within 2 hours. I received an acknowledgement email (not approval) around 8-10 hours later.

Since my acknowledgement email, 15 days ago, I've received no requests for further information and my application status is still showing as "We received your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you". Obviously I'm well beyond the 72 hour window that IRCC advise.

The only difference between my wife and child's application and mine was:
- type of employment (child doesn't work as she's a child, wife works in facilities management, I work in data/project management)
- when asked about any previous eTA, I provided the number of my previously approved eTA which was valid from 2016-2021 on my previous passport.

I have no previous convictions/criminal history, have never been denied entry to any country and used my previous eTA twice for two 7-day visits to Canada.

- Is this type of delay typical? I've requested an update via web-form but haven't received any response.

- Is there anything obviously non-standard in my application given what I've outlined above?

- Is there an merit in applying for a second eTA or will this confuse matters? I understand that both would be linked to my passport number.

I'm due to travel on 18th July so, whilst I appreciate there's some time for approval, I'm looking for any insight/guidance on what my next steps are or could be.

(I don't know if my previous thread was deleted by admin or if I accidentally deleted it)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I applied for 3 eTA's for my wife, child and myself on 04th June. These were 3 separate applications. We're all UK citizens with full UK passports.

My wife and child received email responses of approved eTA's within 2 hours. I received an acknowledgement email (not approval) around 8-10 hours later.

Since my acknowledgement email, 15 days ago, I've received no requests for further information and my application status is still showing as "We received your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you". Obviously I'm well beyond the 72 hour window that IRCC advise.

The only difference between my wife and child's application and mine was:
- type of employment (child doesn't work as she's a child, wife works in facilities management, I work in data/project management)
- when asked about any previous eTA, I provided the number of my previously approved eTA which was valid from 2016-2021 on my previous passport.

I have no previous convictions/criminal history, have never been denied entry to any country and used my previous eTA twice for two 7-day visits to Canada.

- Is this type of delay typical? I've requested an update via web-form but haven't received any response.

- Is there anything obviously non-standard in my application given what I've outlined above?

- Is there an merit in applying for a second eTA or will this confuse matters? I understand that both would be linked to my passport number.

I'm due to travel on 18th July so, whilst I appreciate there's some time for approval, I'm looking for any insight/guidance on what my next steps are or could be.

(I don't know if my previous thread was deleted by admin or if I accidentally deleted it)
Something has been flagged for review. It can take days or weeks. Not sure reapplying will help as first application is under review.

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1085&top=16

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response @Naturgrl - is there any indication of what could be flagged for review? Is there a standard list/selection?
Any potential differences between the info in your first eTA application vs second?

DelayConcern

Jun 19, 2024
United Kingdom
Category........
VISIT
Any potential differences between the info in your first eTA application vs second?
Since my first application in 2016? Several, yeah:

- my passport number has changed (due to previous passport expiring and new passport being issued), but the other details such as name/place of birth etc haven't
- my address has changed
- my martial status has changed to married
- my employment area has changed to a more managerial role

Would these be sufficient for a manual review? I assume that these are pretty normal changes to occur over an 8 year period? It just seems really odd.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since my first application in 2016? Several, yeah:

- my passport number has changed (due to previous passport expiring and new passport being issued), but the other details such as name/place of birth etc haven't
- my address has changed
- my martial status has changed to married
- my employment area has changed to a more managerial role

Would these be sufficient for a manual review? I assume that these are pretty normal changes to occur over an 8 year period? It just seems really odd.
No, not what I mean. I'm asking if there's any chance that there are any information mismatches between the two application of information that has not changed.

DelayConcern

Jun 19, 2024
United Kingdom
Category........
VISIT
No, not what I mean. I'm asking if there's any chance that there are any information mismatches between the two application of information that has not changed.
Hi @scylla not quite sure what you mean? I've only applied once for this eTA (at present time, anyways)?

Sorry if I'm being dumb. Are you saying that if I previous applied as John Smith and I'm now applying as Jon Smith, for example?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla not quite sure what you mean? I've only applied once for this eTA (at present time, anyways)?

Sorry if I'm being dumb. Are you saying that if I previous applied as John Smith and I'm now applying as Jon Smith, for example?
I'm referring to your first application for the eTA that has already expired.

Anyway, I'm just guessing without having any of the details. Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the issue could be.

Reactions: DelayConcern

DelayConcern

Jun 19, 2024
United Kingdom
Category........
VISIT
I'm referring to your first application for the eTA that has already expired.

Anyway, I'm just guessing without having any of the details. Unfortunately it's really hard to say what the issue could be.
Ah, I understand. Asides from what I outlined above (passport number/martial status/address/area of employment) there's no mismatches - same name, same date and place of birth, same citizenship and nationality.

But you're right, we're probably speculating. I'll endeavour to contact via web form again.

I assume the recommendation would be to NOT submit an additional eTA application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah, I understand. Asides from what I outlined above (passport number/martial status/address/area of employment) there's no mismatches - same name, same date and place of birth, same citizenship and nationality.

But you're right, we're probably speculating. I'll endeavour to contact via web form again.

I assume the recommendation would be to NOT submit an additional eTA application?
I'm not a lawyer but I don't think there is any point in submitting a second application. If the first one is stuck for some reason the second one will be too.